Limit responses - no smartphones | XM Community
Solved

Limit responses - no smartphones

• 25 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi, I will run survey where respondents will view and rate photographs. Because the photos need to be viewed in a large size, I don't want respondents to take the survey on their phone, but only use a laptop or PC. Is there a way to not allow survey responses from smartphones? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Rich_Boits_Walker 25 June 2018, 06:11

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Hi @pamata
To get what you are after I think you are going to have to use some custom javascript code. There is a functional example in stackoverflow (here).

Using this example you can set up an embedded data field for MobileDevice (or something similar) in your survey flow, then place the above javascript on your first question like a screener by clicking the gear icon to the left of the question and selecting add JavaScript.

Where the example code has a comment for `// Mobile` you would use the following to set your embedded field:
`Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("MobileDevice","Yes");`

You can then use that embedded data field to branch allowing non-mobile to continue and ending the survey for mobile users with a custom end of survey message.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
The other option that just came to mind if you're not interested in getting into custom code is to make use of the Meta Info Question. There is detailed documentation here.

You could ask you survey respondents to only take the survey on a device with the appropriate screen size and then check their screen resolution or user agent when you go to reporting.
Badge
Hi @pamata! It looks like @Rich_Boits_Walker has given some good suggestions to hopefully get you started! If you are looking for a built-in Qualtrics options that allows you to adjust the survey experience for survey takers on a mobile device, I would recommend reading over this support page section on how to do so!
> @Rich_Boits_Walker said:
> Hi @pamata
> To get what you are after I think you are going to have to use some custom javascript code. There is a functional example in stackoverflow (here).
>
> Using this example you can set up an embedded data field for MobileDevice (or something similar) in your survey flow, then place the above javascript on your first question like a screener by clicking the gear icon to the left of the question and selecting add JavaScript.
>
> Where the example code has a comment for `// Mobile` you would use the following to set your embedded field:
> `Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("MobileDevice","Yes");`
>
> You can then use that embedded data field to branch allowing non-mobile to continue and ending the survey for mobile users with a custom end of survey message.

I tried doing this (using the code from stackoverflow, and switching `// Mobile` for `Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData("MobileDevice","Yes");`). I kept getting this error code:

Invalid JavaScript! You cannot save until you fix all errors: Invalid regular expression

Help please!
Hello,
I guess I'm too late to help @scjackson, but in case anybody needs help with this problem I propose this setup:
!
It's pretty simple - you reach into Survey flow and at the begining of the survey (before any block of questions) you set embedded data and branch it into ending the survey. You can also customize end of survey message to your liking. I hope it makes sense!
Regards
David
Badge +1
Hi,
I am using the embedded data feature to redirect the respondents with a mobile device to the end of the survey. However, I ask them to take the survey again using a PC or laptop, since I don't want to lose their responses.

The problem is that I have to use individual links with email invitations. Once they opened the survey with a mobile device and got redirected to the end of the survey, they can't use that link again on a PC or laptop. They get the message that they have already responded!

How can I make them able to take the survey again using the same email and link?

Thanks,
Ben

Leave a Reply