Comparing Year over Year Data with Multiple Source Table | XM Community
Question

Comparing Year over Year Data with Multiple Source Table

• 3 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I am attempting to compare data from a current survey (fielded for the past 3 weeks) and one that fielded roughly 1 year ago for about 3 weeks. I have mapped the 2 surveys as sources in the dashboard. Most of my data is in matrix questions and we want to report out top 2 box percentages with year over year comparisons. Using multi-source tables has been challenging because I want to compare data to last year’s survey and have run into limitations on the “previous period” comparison.  If I include responses from say... "this year" or "past 180 days" it works, however once that time has elapsed (180 days pass or it turns over to a new year) this comparison is no longer valid and the data changes on the dashboard.
My survey has quite a few matrix questions with a lot of rows - so 50 or more rows to report on. I have thought about putting each row in a separate simple table widget and creating custom metrics for the year over year comparison. However, this involves creating 50+ widgets and 50+ custom metrics. With that many widgets the dashboard looks very segmented and hard to read and takes a long time to load.
Can anyone think of a solution to this issues? I'd love to use the multi-source table if possible, but am concerned with the time frame comparison.
Thanks all for your help!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Brian,
I haven't worked with the multi source tables much, but for the simple table widget, you could create Field Groups for your matrix questions in the dashboard data. This would allow you to create a simple table with multiple questions using the Top Box/Bottom Box metric.
We categorize our questions in the field groups and name accordingly to easily identify in the dashboard widget creation. Once you create on simple table, you can copy and then change the x-axis to your next field group.
Hope this helps,
Sabrina

Badge +2

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that at all. That is a great way to display multiple questions in rows in one simple table, and i can even display YoY side by side using the data set source as columns. I am definitely going to be using this in the future. The only remaining issue on this particular report is getting the YoY % change metric in a 3rd column in that table. It's great that you can add a calculation - they have a SUM but no DIFFERENCE. That would be perfect!
I appreciate your insights, thank you.

Leave a Reply