Average calculation | XM Community
Solved

Average calculation

• 29 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi there! I have a survey with 30 questions with the same answer scale (strongly disagree (1) ..., totally agree(5)). I need to calculate the average of 10 questions, for example, but when I try to create a new variable, I select function Average, but my 30 variables (questions) doesn't appear in the combo box for X, Y, etc. Just appear 3 other random variables like "progress", " latitude of location", "longitude of location". Can you help me, please?

icon

Best answer by IsabelPosada_Voce 30 November 2020, 03:38

View original

4 replies

Hi there! I have a survey with 30 questions with the same answer scale (strongly disagree (1) ..., totally agree(5)). I need to calculate the average of 10 questions, for example, but when I try to create a new variable, I select function Average, but my 30 variables (questions) doesn't appear in the combo box for X, Y, etc. Just appear 3 other random variables like "progress", " latitude of location", "longitude of location". Can you help me, please?

Userlevel 6
Badge +51

Hello ABP
You should try with Scoring, assign the score only to the questions that you want to get the average , once you have set up this, go to your survey flow and at the end of the survey create an Embedded Data Field, the name could be AverageQ and with the piped text assign the value that correspond to the average or mean.
Another option is to go to the data&analysis section, go to some column, click on create a new field, go to formula and create the average there, assign to each variable a question and divide it by the number of questions that you have.
image.png
Let me know if it works :)

Thank you. I'll try and let you know!!!

Badge +2

Genius, Isabel, thank you! I used the formula and it worked perfectly!

Leave a Reply