Is it possible to update a participant's metadata if they've started a survey? | XM Community
Question

Is it possible to update a participant's metadata if they've started a survey?

• 1 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I'm setting up a 360 project in which some participants will engage with the project now whereas others will engage with the project later. However, it's important that all participants are in the same project. I want to target reminders to participants who have engaged with (started) the project.
Initially, I was thinking of using the participants by criteria option in the Messages section. However, there isn't a criteria for sending messages to participants who have started but haven't finished.
I know you can update a participant's metadata after they've finished the survey (e.g., Update Person Trigger), but is it possible to update a participant's metadata if they've started a survey. Or is it possible to create a field that'll allow me to target reminder messages to participants that have started, but not necessarily finished the survey? I don't want to message those participants who won't engage with the project until a later date.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi there,
Could you explain a bit more what you mean by "metadata"? Do you mean the information obtained with the the "Metadata" question type? Or are you talking about other types of metadata variables?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Hi athurley2020 I realize this is old, but in case it's still helpful, I am working on a similar process (I think) that might inform your approach.
In my case, we want to send emails to people as they reach different reporting "tiers" (e.g., you have now received 10 evaluations!). So, periodically, I download the participant file and assign a "ReportType" value to all the participants, which is my metadata field. I think in your case you'd need to do this using a raw data download.
Then, I go to the participants section and click Add Subjects --> Import Subjects --> More Options --> Update Responses with New Metadata --> Yes
The new values for that field will overwrite the old values. You can also manually change metadata fields from the participants section, but this other approach is helpful if you are doing a large number.
Just be careful not to overwrite other valuable metadata info!

Leave a Reply