How to create a limited response schedule sign up | XM Community
Solved

How to create a limited response schedule sign up

• 26 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I am trying to build a survey to create a schedule for office hours. I need to limit each time slot to 3 respondents, however.

Right now I am attempting to use a matrix with each day of the week for y and the time slots for x but found out I can not have quotas on a matrix. Is what I am trying to do possible?

Rough draft below.

!
icon

Best answer by bstrahin 26 July 2018, 21:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
You can definitely have quotas on a matrix. I have done almost this same exact thing before.

!

I set up a quota for each time slot (second row) but then also added javascript to hide the button when the quota was filled. It was a beast to create (15 days, 10 timeslots and 7 faculty means I had 1,050 quotas to build by hand and then reference in the javascript code - which had to be piped to get the proper ID). I also set trigger emails to remind people of the appointment they selected, but was not able to figure out how to generate a calendar invite within that appointment.

Building this well is a huge time investment and I would recommend possibly exploring if there is a more appropriate tool.
@bstrahin Thanks for the reply! The more I worked on this the more I realized it was going to be a big undertaking.
I won't actually be using this for live data. The graduate assistants will fill in their times and we will use the output to put together a calendar schedule. I don't know if that makes it any easier or not. Students schedule their appointment with a different system.
Would you be willing to share that javascript string? I might still try to give it a go as I have not found any other software that will give me the output I was hoping for.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi @Jschulert! You might also find this page helpful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@Jschulert - You don't actually need Javascript to hide a given slot when the quota is met. You can apply display logic to the options that will no longer display a given choice if the quota is already met.

Given that means setting up 140 rules for display logic rules in your example, but that shouldn't take more than an hour. Put on some head phones, turn on some tunes, and enjoy the zen like experience of repetitive work!
Hello @Emily
I started creating my survey off of the page that you linked but when I click "Create Multiple Quotas" my question does not show up under "Add a Question". If I change the question type from Matrix Table to Multiple Choice it will show up then.
Thanks @Akdashboard

When I try this I only see the option to:
Quota- Monday - is Less Than - 3
or
Question- Q1 - Monday - 9-9:30- I Selected (or not selected) or Is Displayed (or not displayed)

I don't see a way to make the Quota option select specific option like the Question pull down does.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
To be clear, I tried to use display logic but found that display logic applied to either a whole row or a whole column. So then I ended up applying javascript to hide the individual button that represents the timeslot that was full.

@Jschulert we used doodle polls to collect the faculty time slots when they would be available. I then took the doodle poll results and applied logic as appropriate to get a scheduling system to work in Qualtrics.

Here's a line of the Javascript:
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@bstrahin is right. I am mistaken, this won't work for matrix columns. You could make a really messy multiple choice question, but the effort is so high I am not sure it is worth it.
@bstrahin Thanks! I see how your string address the limitation (?) of Qualtrics to hide a single check box in the matrix. I will have to play around with this some and see how it comes out.

Leave a Reply