How do I disable the previous button in the middle of the survey?

Barnaby
Barnaby Provo, UTFounding Community Member CEP (Chief Executive Paw-ficer)

I want to allow participants to go back in most of the pages of the survey, but there are some pages where I don't want them to be able to go back. How do I disable the previous button in the middle of the survey?

Best Answer

• AnthonyR
    AnthonyR Tucson AzFounding Community Member, Community Member Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 Accepted Answer

On questions where you do not want them to be able to go back, add the following to the AddOnReady section of the javascript editor:

$('PreviousButton').hide();
    $('PreviousButton').disable();

Answers

• Barnaby

Hm...I just tried adding this to my second question & the previous button still appears. I've attached the QSF below - any idea why this isn't working?

• KatC
    KatC [email protected]Community Member - Trial User Guru ✭✭

Could you also potentially create blocks in your survey, where the question where you don't want them to go back on is in a new block? You would need to have a branch condition between the blocks, but this could help you disable the button.

• AnthonyR
    AnthonyR Tucson AzFounding Community Member, Community Member Superuser ✭✭✭✭

@Barnaby said:
    Hm...I just tried adding this to my second question & the previous button still appears. I've attached the QSF below - any idea why this isn't working?

Whoops, this actually belongs in the addOnReady section. Sorry!

• Barnaby

Thanks, @AnthonyR - that second option worked!

• ASFriesacher
    ASFriesacher Community Member Qubie ✭

Hi!

This works, except if the questions is answered wrong on the page with the script (i.e. error message appears) then the button reappears. Do you have a solution for this?

• ISJPKK
    ISJPKK Community Member, Qualtrics Brand Admin Qubie ✭

@AnthonyR Thank you for this! Really helpful!

Wondering if there is a way to reverse the JS and only show back buttons for specific blocks while disabling the Back Button option from the Survey Option tab?