Is it possible to create a survey distribution via the API but only send it to an individual? | XM Community
Solved

Is it possible to create a survey distribution via the API but only send it to an individual?

• 8 August 2018
  • 9 replies

When I create the survey distribution and I specify an individual contactId in the params, it still creates the survey distribution for all the contacts in the mailing list. Therefore I would like to know if it is possible to send a survey distribution to an individual contact.
icon

Best answer by mattyb513 9 August 2018, 15:28

View original

9 replies

Hello @GTissera ,

Here are the two ways to send a survey to an individual contact(this is without api, using distributions tab)
1. You can use personal link distribution.
2. In e-mail distribution option -> compose email -> select contacts -> select a contact list -> you will view an option "select an individual".
!
Hello Shashi,
Thanks for your response but I am looking to make it work via the API, because I need to automate it.
In the API documentation I see that you can specify the Contact ID of the contact within the Mailing List individually, but it is not working for me.
Regards,
Gaspar
> @GTissera said:
> Hello Shashi,
> Thanks for your response but I am looking to make it work via the API, because I need to automate it.
> In the API documentation I see that you can specify the Contact ID of the contact within the Mailing List individually, but it is not working for me.
> Regards,
> Gaspar

Hope this page helps you.
!
Hello Shashi,
I went through this page already and when I pass the correct contactId to the create survey distribution API, it sends the email to the whole distribution list instead of only to the contactId passed. Have you checked this behavior as well? Maybe the API is not working as expected or I am missing something?
Thanks,
Gaspar
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Do you have TargetAudience or normal contact lists? Try using the directory level contactID and leaving off the mailing list. I suspect that if the MailingListID is present then it ignores the contactID
Hello mattyb513,
Thanks for your response. I only have normal contact lists. I tried removing the MailingListID parameter and also sending garbage, but the parameter is mandatory and it should be an existing MailingListId. I believe that there should be an option to send a survey distribution to an individual contact via the API... this looks like the best approach, but it is not working for me. Any idea on who to contact and check this?
Thanks!
Gaspar
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I just tested and it works fine using this request:
https://api.qualtrics.com/docs/create-survey-distribution

Here is the shell request I made: https://gist.github.com/mbloomfi/7aa731202f57b3d0ec431a7703de40f6
Thanks mattyb513,
I had an incorrect parameter in my request. I realized only when I saw your request and I can confirm it works correctly.
I have an extra question related to embedded data in this API. When I send fields and values as embeddedData, how can I use these values in the Survey Flow? E.g. I want to show in the Survey introduction an activity number sent in the embedded Data.
And where can I see these values in the platform? The Get Distribution API returns the correct values, but I can't find them in the platform.
Many thanks again for your help.
Gaspar
I am also trying to send survey to individual but it is sending to whole list. I passed the contact id starts with "MLRP". I would like to know how to send this to individual contact.
Thank you

Leave a Reply