Randomly select loop & merge row based on condition | XM Community

Randomly select loop & merge row based on condition

• 31 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a survey with two conditions and a loop & merge that should randomly select one row out of four (dependent on the condition).
Conceptually I am thinking of this as a l&m with 8 rows composed of two groups of four and depending on the condition, and one of these four rows should be selected.
It is not feasible for me to do a four-row l&m with embedded data because I am using many columns. I could possibly consider using two separate l&m blocks, but I would like to avoid this if possible. Any advice on how to approach this problem would be appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am thinking about doing this using the "invisible block" method described here https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/3730/loop-and-merge-even-randomization
I am setting "the condition" by setting each item to have display logic based on the condition.
Is there anything wrong with this method? Will my loop still be evenly randomized?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

You can use that method, but you should turn off loop randomization and use advanced randomization in the hidden question to evenly present and do any other randomization you need.

Leave a Reply