Scoring and Reporting multiple choice survey questions - calculating meaningful mean | XM Community
Solved

Scoring and Reporting multiple choice survey questions - calculating meaningful mean

• 27 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello, complete newbie here.
Was looking via search but unable to find answers so trying here.
What I have is a simple customer satisfaction survey with around 17 questions divided into 4 question blocks. Multi-choice "agree-disagree" with scoring 1 - 5 and categories set for overall score and separate scoring categories for each question block.
Now when the scoring is done, the results and reports calculate a total score for the category and then give me an average based on the sum of total scores divided by a number of responses.
SC0 - Overall Score:

• min = 62.00

• max = 73.00

• mean = 67.50

Is there any easy way to get the actual average per question on that group? Say I would have 17 questions on that group, the result would be:
  • mean = 3.97

Or is this something better calculated with excel?

Appreciate if anyone would point me in the right direction 🙏

icon

Best answer by MatthewM 27 April 2021, 15:22

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Mattijok ,
You might find a solution by using Formula Variable Creation in the Data & Analysis module, or Math Operations with Embedded Data in the Survey Flow. Set up a formula that adds up the values of the 17 items and divides the result by 17. Then the reporting module will calculate the min, max, and mean of your calculated values.

Thanks MatthewM
Very helpful. Was trying to figure this out for hours without luck.
Will try the formula and study more on math operation.

Leave a Reply