Randomly allocating each respondent to one out of 2 branch options | XM Community
Solved

Randomly allocating each respondent to one out of 2 branch options

• 27 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi!
I want to create two different possible survey flows, and that every person that takes the survey will be randomly allocated to one of those flows. I tried to think about how it can be done but couldn't find the answer.
Thanks, Eyal.

icon

Best answer by mbauwens 27 April 2021, 14:30

View original

2 replies

Hi Eyal,
In your Survey Flow, you can add a Randomiser which randomly presents 1 element to the user while trying to evenly present the different flows across all users.
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/randomizer/
image.pngThese elements would then be your two possible survey flows. I would use Groups after the Randomiser in order to group multiple questions.
What I also advise is to add an embedded data variable so you can very easily keep track how many respondents were assigned to which flow. For example "surveyflow = A" in group A, "surveyflow = B" in group B. Then you can also Edit the Count once in a while to account for respondents not finishing the survey and therefore skewing the even distribution of the flows (should this be necessary).
In a nutshell:
Randomiser presents 1 of the following 2 elements (evenly): Group A or B

• Group A

• set embedded data "surveyflow = A" (optional)

• Question 1

• Question 2

• Group B

• set embedded data "surveyflow = B" (optional)

• Question 1

• Question 2

Thanks a lot! That's a great solution.

Leave a Reply