Is ResponseID unique per account or per survey? | XM Community
Solved

Is ResponseID unique per account or per survey?

• 27 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone!
I am running multiple surveys which I then gather into a single database of ours. I'm currently using the ResponseID as the unique ID of each survey in the database. However, I was wondering whether this variable is unique across surveys (per account) or whether it's only going to be unique on a survey basis.
I.e. will there be a (very tiny, yet realistic) chance of ResponseIDs from survey A and survey B to be identical?
The easy fix would be to prefix each ResponseID with a fixed ID of the survey (e.g. "A_R_123456789" vs "B_R_123456789"), but I'm only going to update my database accordingly if it's necessary 😀 This does assume that the ResponseID is always a guaranteed unique ID (for which I found conflicting information online: is it random or is it random & unique?).
Thanks!
Michael

icon

Best answer by faris 27 April 2021, 18:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Consider the following statements...

1. ResponseID is unique (per survey)

2. ResponseID is unique across surveys (per account)

3. ResponseID is unique across surveys across accounts (per brand/license)

4. ResponseID is unique across surveys across accounts across all brands

Are statements 1 & 2 true?

Yes, this has been my experience. I would say I'm 99% confident.
Are statements 3 & 4 true?

Yes, this has been my experience. Though I would say I'm 90% confident, and recommend confirming with Qualtrics Support.
(My confidence is 90+ because, in the past, Qualtrics Support had a tool that could restore deleted responses. In order to retrieve the responses, they would look them up using only the ResponseID. If the ResponseID was not unique across all surveys, all accounts, all brands (statement 4), then I don't know how their search would have worked.)

Thanks, farmaly! I'll check with Qualtrics Support, but this is already good to hear and sounds promising 😊

Leave a Reply