Community Groups are officially here!
We've released Groups, a new feature that enables us to connect community members of similar industries and interests in a shared, private space. You can check out all of the details here, including information about who can join, how to join, and what Groups are currently offered. Please leave your feedback through this Community Groups Feedback Survey.

Balance 'meta' randomization in survey flow

becbot
becbot Community Member Qubie ✭
edited June 23 in Survey Platform

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I wasn't sure exactly what to search for to find the answer.

I have a survey design where participants are randomly assigned to one of 3 conditions, which I have set using embedded data. Then, they will view 4 different videos of two people labelling an object. For each video, either Person A speaks first, or Person B speaks first. So, I actually have a total of 8 videos; two for each object, one where Person A speaks first, and one where Person B speaks first. Right now, each of the 8 videos + associated follow up questions is in it's own block (so Block 1 = Object X, Person A speaks first, Block 2 = Object X, Person B speaks first, Block 3 = Object Y, Person A speaks first, Block 4 = Object Y, Person B speaks first etc etc for 4 objects).

I would like to set up the survey flow such that each participant always see two videos of Person A speaking first, and two videos of Person B speaking first. It doesn't matter which of the 4 objects has Person A or Person B speaking first, or what order, as long as at the end they have seen 2 videos of each. However, they should only see each object only once (so they never see Person A label object X first, then also Person B label Object X first).

Currently, I am using branching according to condition, and then using the randomizer to choose between Person A or Person B speaking first for each 'pair' of videos (see pic). However, I am pretty sure this will lead to each pair being independent, so the total could be 3 videos with Person A first, 1 video with Person B first, or all 4 videos with Person B first etc.

Is there a way that I can 'balance' each branch so that they always see 2 videos with Person A first, and two with Person B first?

Best Answer

• Mishraji
    Mishraji IndiaCommunity Member, Qualtrics Brand Admin Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

You can have one randomizer with all blocks for person A and set the randomizer to display any 2 elements. Then outside that randomizer, you can have branch logic(if object W for Person A is not displayed then display object W for person B) for the corresponding person B blocks.

Adding screenshots for your reference.