How would I ensure participants are seeing no more than two blocks of the same condition in a row? | XM Community
Solved

How would I ensure participants are seeing no more than two blocks of the same condition in a row?

Hi there,
I am currently attempting to design a self-referential encoding task ( see Derry & Kuiper, 1981) within Qualtrics so that participants can complete some questionnaires and the task on one platform. To quickly explain, there are 25 positive and 25 negative adjectives. Words are presented in groups of 5. Participants are either asked whether each of these words describes them after each word or whether the word is upper case or lower case (these are the 2 conditions).
Ultimately, I have been able to randomize the words as capital or non-capital. I have also been able to randomize the word order within each group of 5. The issue I am running into is that the there should not be more than two blocks of the same condition in a row. How would I ensure this? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 15 May 2021, 01:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I had made this sometime back for a similar question. It implements what you are aiming for, but for 6 a smaller number of blocks.
Survey details as follows:
There are 6 blocks in the survey (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2). They all need to be randomized. However, no two As, Bs or Cs should come together.
Putting what's going on is a little too much to put into words, but if you see the survey flow, you'll get the idea.
nic720.qsf

Hi Ahmed,
Your survey flow was very helpful and I can see the main idea. I was thinking of branching and using embedded data too. I'll play around with this format and give this some more thought over the next few days. Does this also account for the fact that each block in each condition will be viewed by all participants and that they will only see one condition once?

Leave a Reply