Getting a partial response from API | XM Community
Solved

Getting a partial response from API

Hi!
I was trying to obtain the answers to a partial response using the response ID and the session ID but I keep getting a 404 when using the /API/v3/surveys/{survey id}/responses/{response id} endpoint. When I finish the response and redo the request it nicely shows the response.
Is there a way to obtain a partial response using the rest API? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Mishraji 18 May 2021, 15:50

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

Partial responses (which are not recorded yet) do not display a response ID. The get Response API requires a Response ID. I suppose you are trying to retrieve the partial response using the session ID and hence receiving a 404.
As per my understanding, unless the response is recorded, you cannot retrieve the response and the response ID is not available.

Thank you for your answer! Yeah that is what I figured. It is a little confusing because when you make a response export you are able to get partial responses and they do have a response ID. It is a little odd that you cannot get them as individual responses.

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

The Response ID in the partial response report is the session ID which changes once the response is recorded. And I agree, this is confusing. :)

Thank you so much for looking into this with me! Yeah I know, in the front-end it is nicely called a session ID. But in the API response-export, the header is called response ID. So I guess partial responses are stored somewhere as an actual response?
image.png

Userlevel 4
Badge +18

Yeah, seems so. Unfortunately, it is not available to us until the partial response is recorded.

Thank you for all your help!

Leave a Reply