What happens when on a User / User Type, you restrict "Allowed Responses"? | XM Community
Solved

What happens when on a User / User Type, you restrict "Allowed Responses"?

• 30 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • QPN Level 4 ●●●●
  • 216 replies

Hi,
On https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/sp-administration/managing-users/user-permissions/ there's a description for the "allowed responses" restriction:

Allowed Responses: Specifies the total number of responses a user is allowed to gather in their account within their organization’s license year. This excludes PreviewTest, and Imported responses. If a user exceeds their response limit, Qualtrics will still collect responses for the surveys, however, those responses will not be available to the user until the number of Allowed Responses is increased. Select Override to specify a different limit and select Unset Restriction to revert to the default restriction.
Attention: This permission does not enable or prevent users from collecting or accessing their responses.

It's espeically this "attention" point that raises questions for me.
What WILL actually happen when you add a restriction on #responses for a particular user (type), and that user exceeds it?
as the warning sais that this does not enable/prevent the user from collecting/accessing their responses?

icon

Best answer by CarolK 1 July 2021, 20:27

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +37

What we have seen is that the surveys continue to collect responses, but the user cannot access the results beyond the limit, unless & until their limit is increased.
Basically, it means you CAN"T use that setting to limit how much of your licensed completes are being used by a given user or user type (because the completes are still collected on the account), but on the other hand no data is "lost" just because the owning survey user cannot see them. The responses are still there on the account.
Example: we put a limit (we intended to be an annual limit) on select users. But the surveys were ongoing, not single-year. In year 2, they went over their allowed responses limit. They could see that they had collected additional completes, but when accessing the data, they would get an error warning them they could not export more than the first (limit amount) and they could not report more than (limit amount). We upped their limits accordingly; they can see all their results again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks Carol.
I tested it with applying a limit of 5 responses to a test user. However the user can still collect, see, and download more than 5 responses... so I will contact Qualtrics support about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/38795#Comment_38795Strange,
after contacting support, they told me that:
The "Allowed Responses" permission at the user and division level actually does not restrict users from collecting or accessing responses over this number (i.e. it is not a limit that is actually enforced in the platform). Currently, at the user level, this can really only be used for tracking purposes in the user's Account Usage tab. Therefore, changing that number will not affect the user unless the brand number of allowed responses is exceeded.
and
"According to my team it is an intended functionality that you should still be able to see responses of data collected beyond the limit. In terms of the account usage panel, in order to access it you must go into the account settings page from within the account and then click on account usage. There, you should see the affected table at the bottom that shows the response limit placed. "
image.png
So I'll open a Product Idea about this then...
This is the link to the created idea : https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/16941/limit-nr-of-responses-that-users-can-collect/p1?new=1

Leave a Reply