Display Piped Text in Survey Questions from Embedded Data generated from a Contact List | XM Community
Solved

Display Piped Text in Survey Questions from Embedded Data generated from a Contact List

• 30 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I thought I had this figured out but the information I'm trying to pipe into my Survey questions are not displaying.
I created a contact list with private school names and contact information. I used that contact list as the source for an Embedded Data element at the start of my survey.
My goal is for respondents to select their school name in the first question. The next question should show them the Director name, email, phone number, and school address using piped text and they will say yes or no to verify the information is correct.
I'm attaching screenshots of my .csv file headers, the embedded data info, and my question with the piped text fields. I'm obviously missing something. I've read and reread the embedded data support page and even found a video webinar that someone did on the topic and I still get blank spaces when I preview the survey.
I would really love to have this work properly. This is something we do over and over again with various surveys and currently, respondents have to input their address every time. Our private school partners would probably appreciate a more user-friendly experience. And I'd love not having to match addresses to our existing database every single time.
csvheaders.pngSurveyFlow_embeddeddata.pngSurveyQuestions.pngThis is what I see when I preview the survey question.
Results1.png

icon

Best answer by MatthewM 30 June 2021, 21:27

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi,
When you take a survey in preview mode, it won't show any embedded data because Qualtrics doesn't have an email list to pipe the data from. The best way to test it out is to create a dummy email list, with yourself as the contact(s) and all of the embedded data fields populated, then send the live survey to yourself to test the piped text.
BTW, if you are sending out the survey links via email in Qualtrics, or by using Personal Links, you shouldn't need to ask the respondent to select their school in the drop-down menu. You could already know this from the Embedded Data, based on the link they're using to access the survey.

Aha! Wonderful. Now, will this work if we don't send out the survey via an email list and instead just generate a link that is sent out with one mass email or put on a website?
I'll add some mock data into my test survey and take it for another spin. I'm trying to build a bank of questions that we will use many times throughout the upcoming school year. So for now this is one of my "personal" projects that I work on when I have the time.
I know we should be sending out these surveys via email in Qualtrics but that is not how it's been done in my department so far. I just joined this group in January and I'm chipping away at the "we've always done it like this" mentality slowly but surely.
Maybe I can convince the boss that it's time for a change? I'm all for whatever makes it easier for our end-users and more importantly saves us time and effort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

No, this solution requires that a unique link be emailed to each respondent, or Personal Links be used. It will not work with a common reusable link.
There could be an advanced way of doing this with a common link, but it would either require an extensive amount of dynamic programming or a database connection. Using email or Personal links are really the way to go, for both respondents and Qualtrics users alike.

Thanks for the info. I suspected this was the case. hmm... maybe I can sneak in the unique emailed links on a new survey form I know we will be sending to our participating schools each month when the new school year starts. Ask forgiveness, not permission, right? Once the boss sees it working (and saving us time) perhaps we can update the rest of our surveys (which I understand basically get updated slightly and reused each year). Qualtrics can do so much more than we use it for currently. I appreciate your help and information!

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Yeah, consider doing this first with a new and/or smaller project, assess the results, and apply it to others if it's a success. Good luck selling it!

Leave a Reply