Using Multiple Choice questions instead of Text Entry questions when bringing data over | XM Community
Solved

Using Multiple Choice questions instead of Text Entry questions when bringing data over

• 28 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,
I'm setting up a longitudinal study in which I need to pull data from Survey 1 to Surveys 2 and 3. Unfortunately, I need to use a multiple-choice question, allowing multiple answers, which according to the Qualtrics guide "In order to use Multiple Choice questions instead of Text Entry questions, you will need to use JavaScript. Qualtrics Support cannot advise on custom coding..."
Has anyone ever done this? Any tips or examples of JavaScript code that I could adapt? Any help would be appreciated!
Many thanks,
Paula

icon

Best answer by ahmedA 28 July 2021, 08:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Put all the previous data in an ED. Put all the choices in the MC question. Then use display logic on the choices, if ED contains..., to display only thr relevant one's.

ahmedA Thanks, this is a great idea but I didn't mention (!) that what is being pulled is actually "Selected choices - Entered text". So I don't know yet all the possible choices to put them in the MC question, as they will vary per participant.
In this case, they are informing the name of a topic in the first questionnaire "Selected: Topic 1; Entered text: Water cycle". I would like to pull in "Water cycle" as a potential answer, rather than "Topic 1".

ahmedA All right... I actually was able to do the first part of your suggestion (choices are loading in the MC question). The next step is to implement the Display Logic. Slowly but surely getting there... Definitely earning my QUBIE badge here 😂 Thanks for your help!

Leave a Reply