How to set up default answer choice for single answer, multiple choice based on previous response | XM Community
Solved

How to set up default answer choice for single answer, multiple choice based on previous response

• 29 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi all. I'd like to set up a series of two multiple choice questions (single answer) with the same 4-point scale picklist. I would like the second question's default answer choice to be what the respondent selected in the question before it. But, I still want the other three points to be shown.

The context is a [Definitely/Likely/Unlikely/Definitely not] question that asks for a respondent's likelihood of doing something. Then in the next question, I add a piece of information to the description, and ask the respondent to either change their answer given the new piece of information, or if their answer has not changed despite the new information, to leave it as the default selection (their selected choice in the first question).

Is this in Qualtrics' functionality that I'm missing, and if not, does anyone have code I could use to achieve this? Thank you all in advance.
icon

Best answer by TomG 29 August 2018, 03:53

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can use carry forward answer options.

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/question-options/carry-forward-choices/
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@keatonstoner - You can carryover the displayed choices from the first question, but that doesn't answer your question. Make sure the choice recodes match in the questions then use the following JavaScript (change the QID in the pipe to the QID of your first question).
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
this.setChoiceValueByRecodeValue("${q://QID6/SelectedChoicesRecode}", true);
});
```
Thank you @TomG for your answer! That's exactly what we were looking for and it works great. Much appreciated!
Can something similar be done, but using embedded data?

Leave a Reply