Randomizing order across participants, but keeping randomized order consistent within participants | XM Community
Solved

Randomizing order across participants, but keeping randomized order consistent within participants

• 29 August 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I am using Qualtrics to administer experimental stimuli to participants in a 2 x 2 within-subjects design. I have 8 different experimental stimuli, each of which have 4 variations (which correspond to the 2x2 design). I currently have javascript code set up which shuffles an array of experimental stimuli in a 4 (row) X 2 (column) matrix so that participants will randomly see 2 experimental stimuli from each condition in randomized order (totaling 8 stimuli [of varying conditions]).

What I am having trouble with, however, is that I want to also randomize the order of the questions that follow the experimental stimuli (the same questions that will follow each stimulus). Is there a way to randomize the order of the post-stimulus questions such that it is always different between participants, but is consistent within participants (meaning that person A has the same order of post-experimental stimuli questions for all 8 stimuli, but person B has a different order, but that order is the same for her across all 8 stimuli)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
icon

Best answer by TomG 1 September 2018, 15:25

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please refer to this discussion (something similar)

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/4639#Comment_4639
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@RyanMc1289,

If you can make your stimuli one question by piping in the differences (text, images, etc), then you can do this in the following way (no JavaScript needed):
1. Put your stimuli as the first question in a block followed by the follow-up questions
2. Turn on loop & merge, and set up your fields as the things you need to pipe into the stimuli question (8 rows - 1 per stimuli).
3. Use Advanced Question Randomization and leave the stimuli fixed as the first question, and randomize the follow-up questions.

Qualtrics will present the follow-up questions in the same order for the same response, but present them in a different order for other responses.

Leave a Reply