I want to collect the Country Code in a Contact List. Anyone found how to do that? | XM Community
Solved

I want to collect the Country Code in a Contact List. Anyone found how to do that?

• 30 October 2018
  • 8 replies

I have a survey that uses a form to collect First Name, Last Name and Phone Number. I've added validation to the last field to be sure I receive all 10 digits. That information then populates a contact list that I want to use for SMS distribution of other surveys. However, when I try to send an SMS message to the individuals in that contact list, the messages fail because the phone number is missing the country code. When I manually add a "1" in front of the area code in the contact list, the message are successfully delivered.

If I ask the survey participant to enter the "1" the validation fails because there are too many numbers.

Is there a secret to getting the country code in the contact list automatically?
icon

Best answer by bstrahin 31 October 2018, 14:49

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Instead of passing the form field, you could pass an embedded data field that adds the 1 to the phone number.

Survey Flow
- Survey Block
- Embedded Data, FormattedPhone = 1{piped code for phone field}
- Contact list trigger set your phone variable to the embedded variable FormattedPhone field
Thanks for the quick reply, Betsy! This certainly sounds like the solution, but I measure my experience with Qualtrics in weeks, not years.

I've tried several things that I _think_ should make it work, but haven't been successful yet. It would be helpful to have a screenshot, more details or a link to some step-by-step instructions.

Can you provide any of those?

Appreciate your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@M_Palko here's the .qsf file that you can import into Qualtrics to see the test project I made to come up with the solution. Also attached is a screenshot of the Contact List Trigger in case that comes over weird in the other file.
I was able to upload your sample and use it to add to my contact list, and I see the "1" in front of the number.

But I don't see where the "1" lives. Is the "1" added in the form field in survey?

Thanks for your patience in answering this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
The 1 will not show up in the form field or in the data from this survey. It only lives in the contact list that the form passes to. I assumed you were using a Contact List Trigger when you said

> @M_Palko said:
> That information then populates a contact list
You're correct. I am using a Contact List Trigger to populate the contact list.

I'm just not clear where to add 1{piped code for phone field} to make my survey work like yours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
Okay, sorry. I had forgotten how I set this up. The 1 is saved in the data of the survey. Look at the Survey Flow. You will see that I added an embedded data field to concatenate the 1 onto the phone field from the form. That embedded data field then gets called in your Contact List Trigger rather than the form question field.
Success!

I learned a TON, Betsy.

Thanks so much of sharing your expertise.

Leave a Reply