Pass Unique identifiers from one survey to another | XM Community
Solved

Pass Unique identifiers from one survey to another

• 5 December 2018
  • 12 replies

Hi Qualtrics gang!

I am looking to pass one Unique Identifier (from a third party distributor) from one survey into another survey via Qualtrics. How would I go about doing this please?

I know that I need to enter a code onto the end of my URL- but I can't figure out how to pass the Unique Identifier from one survey to the next.

Many thanks!!!
icon

Best answer by Kate 5 December 2018, 17:42

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You can use contact list trigger for this. One unique identifier you will pass get stored in contact list which can be used in another survey.
Will this work if I am distributing my survey via a third-party?
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
If you already have that unique identifier from vendor, you can get it stored in embedded variable and using contact list trigger you can punch same to contact list, which you can use in other survey.

What exactly is your another survey or how you want to use this unique identifier in second survey?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
You're going to want to contact the distributor and work with them on this.

The suggested method of capturing their unique identifier and storing it in your contact list is very smart- but it will only work under 2 conditions:
1. The panel provider is passing a unique ID for each person. In my experience with providers- they are passing you a unique ID for each response, not person. If that is what you are receiving and capturing, it will not be helpful on a second survey.
2. You are distributing the second survey using the information you collected. Most panel providers do not allow this.

There is likely a solution that can be reached with your provider if you tell them about your needs. Ask them how they would help you achieve this goal first- they will likely know the steps you need to take to achieve your goal.
I just need the unique identifiers to match across two different surveys so I can track their responses across the two.

Is there no way of doing by adding "?PartyID=${e://Field/ParticipantID}" or something of a similar description to the end of the URL?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Sam_jones said:
> I just need the unique identifiers to match across two different surveys so I can track their responses across the two.
>
> Is there no way of doing by adding "?PartyID=${e://Field/ParticipantID}" or something of a similar description to the end of the URL?

Are you redirecting from the first survey to the second survey? If so, then yes you can just include the id as a parameter in your redirect link as you've shown above. Be sure to add the parameter as an embedded variable in the second survey.
Yes I am redirecting from the first to my second survey. If my unique identifier is "PartyID" how should I set up my embedded variables so as to pass it over correctly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Ah! That's how its set up. It should be literally as simple as adding that info to your redirect, yes:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/passing-information-through-query-strings/
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Sam_jones said:
> Yes I am redirecting from the first to my second survey. If my unique identifier is "PartyID" how should I set up my embedded variables so as to pass it over correctly?

If your embedded data variable is PartyID in both surveys, then the parameter you would add to your redirect url would be:
&PartyID=${e://Field/PartyID}
Thanks so much for your help everyone!

One final thing- will my embedded data simply be called "PartyID" with "Value will be set from Panel or URL"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Sam_jones said:
> Thanks so much for your help everyone!
>
> One final thing- will my embedded data simply be called "PartyID" with "Value will be set from Panel or URL"?

Yes
Thanks so much for your help you're all fantastic

Leave a Reply