Creating a variable to add all the scores of the survey respondents | XM Community
Solved

Creating a variable to add all the scores of the survey respondents

• 27 December 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi all, I am new to the Qualtrics. I could not find the solution for my question. So here is my scenario..

I have a survey with 10 responses and there is an embedded field "Score" which holds a value for all these responses. Is there a way I could add the "Score" field for all the responses?
Also if I have new survey response I would like to add the "Score" field to the cumulative total from the previous 10 responses.

Please help me out with this. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by bstrahin 27 December 2018, 19:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
You can do this within reporting. But to get it set up properly first:

1. Go to Survey Flow
2. Where you have the variable that is calculating the individual score as an embedded data field, click on Options
3. Make sure the variable type for Score is set to Number
4. Click Okay
5. Save Flow

!

Then you can set up the reporting:

1. Navigate to Reports
2. Find your page for Score
3. Change your Metric to Sum to get a running total that updates as you get more completes

!
Thank you very much. In extension to the above question, Is there a way to send just this running total value for every new survey response to a contact list ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
You can get a work around to this if you want the distribution list triggered every time that a completed survey is submitted.

1) In reports, I would create a report that is only the page for score
* In Reports, in the drop down menu at the top left where it says Default Report, select Create New Report.
* For all of your other questions, when you hover over them in the menu to the left near the question number you should see a check box appear. Uncheck the box to hide the question. (a message will appear "this page will not appear in public reports and will be deselected by default in report exports")
* Do all the reformatting from above to get the running total on your Score question. It should be the only question not greyed out and without the yellow warning.

2) Make the report public
* In the same bar where you selected to create a new report but to the right there is an option for share report. Choose Manage Public Report.
* Check the option for Public Report Available
* Do any extra clicking it tells you to in order to generate a web address
* When it appears lick the button to Copy

3) Go back to your Survey Editor and set up a Trigger Email
* In the Tools Menu choose Triggers -> Email Triggers
* In the To Email Address enter the people you want to email separated by commas
* Update the other fields as you see fit
* Add what you want to the Message are for text, but include the link you copied in here! It's the best day to get real time alerts of a complete and be able to see the summary score (but I don't don't how to embed the cumulative score in a trigger email since it is thinking about only that one response that was just submitted)
* Leave the option checked for When as Send Immediately
* Uncheck to Include Response Report
* Save

This will email your distribution every time there is a complete and the link where they can go to see the updated running total will be in the email. But it won't have that running total in the body of the email itself.
Good to know that it is possible to send them the link for the report through trigger email but I would like to know if we can embed the cumulative score in a trigger email rather than sending a link. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
> @Notaviduser said:
> Good to know that it is possible to send them the link for the report through trigger email but I would like to know if we can embed the cumulative score in a trigger email rather than sending a link. Thanks!

Not that I have found. I thought maybe you could embed the webpage as an iframe, but with a little bit of research I have found that most email clients block that. Using the piping feature will only put in the value for that respondent and will not be cumulative. There is a scheduled report feature but has limitations that I think you won't like (1) it won't show the value in the body of the email, rather it is attached; and (2) schedules are based on times [e.g. weekly] rather than triggered as soon as a response is completed.

Leave a Reply