Streamlining Creation of Experimental Survey | XM Community
Solved

Streamlining Creation of Experimental Survey

• 31 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
Hi All,

I've used Qualtrics a fair bit, but never for anything like this, and wanted to know how others would approach it.

My team and I are running a study (hopefully with Qualtrics as our platform) that will require participants to rate a LOT of elements on a five point scale. We have 60,000 items to rate, so each survey will have 300 items and we'll split this across 200 lists/surveys. This wouldn't be so bad except that we'll need each statement on a different page (rather than one big matrix table) and each question will need a timer. Is there anything I can do short of creating 60,000 individual matrix questions with 60,000 timer questions attached?

Best,
Mark
icon

Best answer by Kate 1 February 2019, 15:46

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I think you're going to have create them all "separately" BUT I do think that the "Copy+Paste" function is going to be your friend here. When you copy an old question, it will associate any formatting or code (like the timer) that you had.

It's not a great option. But at least your just pressing "Copy Question" 60,000 times. Rather than creating a new question every single time.

There are also options to import your survey. IDK if this feels worth your time, though- you're still going to have to add any of the java for the timer to every single question.
Badge +1
Thanks Kate! I started poking around a bit into importing a survey/seeing if I could write a quick script to take care of the heavy lifting (write me a file where it takes all of the code for a timer and a matrix question, adds the question text from a database to the matrix question, increases the question number by 1, adds a page break, adds a new timer question and pulls the question text for the matrix question from a database, rinse and repeat 60,000 times). It did not go well, but I'm by no means versed in JavaScript/JSON.

Do you know of anyone who is automating survey creation in this way or any resources that exist around it? If I don't manage to get something like that up and running, I'm sure that me and copy and paste will be becoming best friends 🙂

Leave a Reply