Assigning different sets of labels to the different choices that make up the question in a slider | XM Community
Solved

Assigning different sets of labels to the different choices that make up the question in a slider

Hello Qualtrics Community,

Firstly, thanks to all the wonderful contributors to this community. It is such a great resource, and supportive community!

Secondly, if I have overlooked an answer to this question on this board, then I apologise (for posting a question that has been answered).

I am wanting to create a repertory grid using slider questions in Qualtrics. The repertory grid I am wanting to construct is below. And there are 12 topics (just using ‘acid-base chemistry’ as an example). So, what I am wanting to do is for each topic to create a separate question using sliders to replicate the below. The issue I am seeking help with is how to assign different labels to each choice; so the first choice has ‘simple and complex’ as labels while the second choice has ‘autonomous’ and ‘integrated’ and so on. I can generate the labels fine, but they are always positioned above the first choice (and adding labels just adds them here). Is there any way of assigning different sets of labels to the different choices that make up the question?

!
!

Thank you, Joseph
icon

Best answer by TomG 1 April 2019, 03:26

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
See this thread:
https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/681/turning-a-slider-into-bipolar
Hi Tom. Many thanks for the prompt response. Much appreciated! I will follow the suggestions in the post and see how I go. Thanks again. Kind regards, Joe
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Joseph_Ferguson_1985 said:
> Hi Tom. Many thanks for the prompt response. Much appreciated! I will follow the suggestions in the post and see how I go. Thanks again. Kind regards, Joe

If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, send me a private message. I have a more sophisticated solution.
Will do, many thanks for the offer, Tom.
Hi Tom. It worked well. So I am happy with that. Thanks again for the help.

The other thing I was wondering about was how to display an arbitrary sign (say a '0' or a vertical line as in the images above) at each of the 7 points (so the snap points on the grid) along each of the question sliders. I currently have the values hidden (they go from 1 to 7) so participants cannot see these but so that the data generated out of the survey includes these values. But I would like each of these values to show as an arbitrary sign (the same sign for all values) so that participants can choose in an informed way one of the 7 seven locations on the slider (with snap to grid on). Is this possible with JS? Kind regards, Joe

> @TomG said:
> > @Joseph_Ferguson_1985 said:
> > Hi Tom. Many thanks for the prompt response. Much appreciated! I will follow the suggestions in the post and see how I go. Thanks again. Kind regards, Joe
>
> If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, send me a private message. I have a more sophisticated solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> The other thing I was wondering about was how to display an arbitrary sign (say a '0' or a vertical line as in the images above) at each of the 7 points (so the snap points on the grid) along each of the question sliders. I currently have the values hidden (they go from 1 to 7) so participants cannot see these but so that the data generated out of the survey includes these values. But I would like each of these values to show as an arbitrary sign (the same sign for all values) so that participants can choose in an informed way one of the 7 seven locations on the slider (with snap to grid on). Is this possible with JS? Kind regards, Joe
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" ul.numbers li").html("|");
});
```
Hi Tom. Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciated. I have entered the code you suggested (see image), but the "|" are not appearing when I view the question. Any ideas as to how we might make this work? Likely something I am doing wrong!

!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> Hi Tom. Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciated. I have entered the code you suggested (see image), but the "|" are not appearing when I view the question. Any ideas as to how we might make this work? Likely something I am doing wrong!
Oops, typo on my part. Updated original post above.
> @TomG said:
> > @Joseph_Ferguson_1985 said:
> > Hi Tom. Thank you for the quick reply. Appreciated. I have entered the code you suggested (see image), but the "|" are not appearing when I view the question. Any ideas as to how we might make this work? Likely something I am doing wrong!
> Oops, typo on my part. Updated original post above.

Thanks Tom! That worked, although only when I view the survey through the 'Look and Feel' tab (see first image) but not when I look at it using 'Preview' (see second image). What might be the cause of this? Could it be to do with the Custom CSS I have entered for the 'Style' (under the 'Look and Feel' tab). This code is below (it is to hide the values, 1-7, for each point on the slider)

Image 1
!

Image 2
!

CSS code: .Skin .q-slider ul.numbers {display:none}

Kind regards, Joe
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Yes, that line of CSS hides the numbers/tick marks. Remove it.
Fantastic, works fine now. Thanks again, Tom.

> @TomG said:
> Yes, that line of CSS hides the numbers/tick marks. Remove it.

Leave a Reply