Scoring for Multiple Answer questions | XM Community

Scoring for Multiple Answer questions

• 5 April 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
I am creating a test in Qualtrics, and some questions are "select all that apply." For example, a question has 5 response options, and 3 are correct. The test taker should get full credit for selecting all 3 correct responses, and 0 points otherwise. How do I set this up in Qualtrics?

5 replies

Hello @SandyMath ,

You can use custom Js to check whether all only correct options are selected and set a scoring embedded data accordingly.
OR
You can also use branch logic in survey flow to check this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I agree with @Shashi, but am not savvy with JS. So this would be how I used the branch logic to make it work!

I would create a new Embedded data category "SCORE" and pipe in the score there for most respondents. But use the branch logic and math opeartions ability of the embedded data to add three if that question was answered correctly.
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/piped-text/math-operations/

!
Badge +1
Scoring is much easier than branching. Click the question options gear on the left and select scoring. The default scoring category is called 'Score'. You can have multiple categories that get scored.

Type the value you want for the answer for each of your selections where the "#" box is. Enter a '0' for responses that do not count and a '1' for the responses that do count.

For example, if you have a test on addition and subtraction, you would create one category for adding and one for subtracting. Addition questions would have a '1' for the correct answer put into the 'adding' category. The same would apply for subtraction.

At the end of the survey you can call out the scoring categories.
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@WaterSampler the problem your solution is not addressing is if they click on a combination where an incorrect answer is selected at the same time a wrong answer is selected. It can also be problematic that a correct answer wants to record a value of 1. If you give a 1 to all options that are correct then you end up with a score of 3 instead of 1. That is why @Shashi and @Kate said code or survey flow needs to be used for verification when scoring a multiple response question like @SandyMath is asking about. You won't be able to avoid logic somewhere to check that all 3 are selected. Whether it is the way Kate suggested or if you give a score 1 to all correct possibilities and then use survey flow to check that the score for that one question is 3 and use the flow to reset it to 1 or if it is not 3 resetting it to 0.
Badge +1
@bstrahin the incorrect answers can be be scored within the category also.

Example: you assign a +1 scoring for the correct answers and -1 scoring for the wrong answers. If the score == 3 then only the correct responses have been clicked and the final score incremented.

For the responses where there is only one correct response, you have a category SingleResp and only those answers that are correct will increment the score.

You will have to do some math and logic to calculate the final score. You could modify the @Kate method and only have one level of test logic which will be less cumbersome.

Leave a Reply