Community Groups are officially here!
We've released Groups, a new feature that enables us to connect community members of similar industries and interests in a shared, private space. You can check out all of the details here, including information about who can join, how to join, and what Groups are currently offered. Please leave your feedback through this Community Groups Feedback Survey.

How to give a "Don't Know" option?

Poppy
Poppy Provo, UTFounding Community Member CEP (Chief Executive Paw-ficer)

I have a text entry question but want to give the respondents the option to select "Don't Know" instead of filling it out. I don't see a way to do this in the question options at all - any suggestions?

Best Answer

• AnthonyR
    AnthonyR Tucson AzFounding Community Member, Community Member Superuser ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

The best way to set this up is to create a multiple choice question with 2 answers, the first will include a text entry, and the second will be Don't know.

Then you can add the following JavaScript to hide the first label, while keeping its text entry box:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function () {
            function hideLabel(element) {
                if (element.select('input')[0] != null || element.select('textarea')[0] != null) {
                    element.select('label').each(function (a, b) {
                        a.hide();
                    });
                } else {
                    console.log(element);   
                }
                }
                var hideLabelsFlag = false

function hideLabels() { //QH.hideLabels() - Hides the label for any answer option where a text input has been added.
                    var elements = $$('.LabelWrapper');
                    elements.each(function (name, index) {
                        hideLabel(name);
                    });
                    hideLabelsFlag = true;
                }
                hideLabels();
        });

Answers

• JulieT
    JulieT WisconsinCommunity Member, Qualtrics Brand Admin Sage ✭✭✭

Stop! Don't do it Poppy! Qualtrics advises against including a "Don't Know" option and has a great article as reference.

https://qualtrics.com/blog/why-including-dont-know-responses-is-hurting-your-survey-data/

• Poppy
    Poppy Provo, UTFounding Community Member CEP (Chief Executive Paw-ficer)

@JulieT Thanks, Julie! That is great advice, however, my supervisor is pretty adamant that they still want to add a "Don't Know" option. Does anyone know how to do this?

• MichelleC
    MichelleC East Lansing, MIFounding Community Member, Community Member Sage ✭✭✭

@Poppy, this solution isn't pretty, but it's functional. Create a 2-option Multiple Choice question and have one of them allow text entry.

I'm not sure how much space a text entry field will allow, but it might work??