Prevent over-writing of user rights when using the collaborate function | XM Community

Prevent over-writing of user rights when using the collaborate function

• 29 May 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

we're currently facing an issue with our set-up of users, and I'm hoping someone of you might have had a similar problem and found a workaround.

In our organization, we have different user types and based on the user type, certain functionalities are enabled or disabled.
For example: we have a "general user" who can do survey programming, analysis and reporting. And then we have an "analysis user" who cannot program/change/distribute surveys but can only use the tool for analysis and reporting.

The problem we are facing is that, as soon as a "general user" is sharing a survey with an "analysis user" through collaborating, the original user rights of the analysis user are overwritten and that person is suddenly allowed to do everything on that project. Technically, when collaborating, some boxes can be ticked off in terms of rights, but it doesn't seem very practical to do this every time and for all the different user types you're sharing with. Additionally, we will also have user groups in our system (e.g. a group for a certain department) , which can contain different user types (e.g. general user, analysis user) so if we then want to collaborate the survey with an entire group, everyone in that group will have the same rights (even though they have different user types).

From a logal point of view, I find it a bit strange that individual user rights don't prevail when collaborating. But maybe there is a way around?
If anyone has had a similar experience or has an idea of how we could solve this, I'd gladly hear about it!

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Kim

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Hmmm, off the top of my head, I'm not sure it can be solved. From a Qualtrics perspective, the system is operating as designed. Collaborating is designed to give customized access to a particular project. Restricting editing access, for instance at the individual user level would require a survey owner to request a change to be made by a BA each time they want someone to have edit rights on a particular survey. For large organizations or those with lots of survey activity, that could create a nightmare of administration for a BA.

Here at my university, we've set up our User Types to restrict things like certain question types (ie students cannot use the File Upload question), # of emails allowed, etc, but not things that can be toggled on/off by Collaboration.

Maybe the solution is increased education for your General Users? Would there ever be a case where they would _want_ an Analysis User to be able to make edits to a survey?

Leave a Reply