What is the best way, or any way for that matter, of editing a drop down list? | XM Community
Solved

What is the best way, or any way for that matter, of editing a drop down list?

• 29 March 2018
  • 5 replies

For one column of a side-by-side style question, I have a drop-down list implemented. I would like to edit that list. The problem is, when I click on 'Click here to edit items...' it is not very intuitive after that how to go about editing. Specifically, I just need to delete some items off of the list. If anyone could help please let me know. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by TomG 29 March 2018, 20:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Click to edit your items, then click on the answer you want to delete so that the answer text is highlighted, then press backspace so that the answer text is just a red box. Then click off it somewhere else on the question, but not on another answer option. Then click a different question to take it out of "edit items" mode.

Side-by-side questions are hard to work with. I avoid them if possible.
Thank You TomG. I've been continuing to play around with this, and the method you described is the only way I have also been able to come up with. I've got a very long drop down list and wanted to be able to replace the entire list with a new one out of MS Excel, but first unfortunately it looks like I have to delete all of the old ones.
Can I ask how to edit the items in a response list?

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/question-types-guide/standard-content/side-by-side/

says under “Drop Down List” that I can click on the blue “Click here to edit items” link to edit choices in a dropdown column.

However, when I click on the blue link, I just see two rows - one with the response options currently in the drop-down menu, and one above that with the code for that value. I do not see any way of adding another option, or reordering the list. How do I do this?

Many thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Click to edit your items, then click on the answer you want to delete so that the answer text is highlighted, then press backspace so that the answer text is just a red box. Then click off it somewhere else on the question, but not on another answer option. Then click a different question to take it out of "edit items" mode.

Thanks for this. I’m unhappy to see how long ago this topic came up and that it still hasn’t been streamlined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

Thanks for this. I’m unhappy to see how long ago this topic came up and that it still hasn’t been streamlined.

You best option for editing a side-by-side dropdown it to switch it to a single select, edit the list, then switch it back to a dropdown.  It still isn’t easy, but is significantly better.

I reiterate that side-by-side questions should be avoided if possible. 

Leave a Reply