'Redirect to a URL' setting using embedded data piped text ONLY | XM Community
Solved

'Redirect to a URL' setting using embedded data piped text ONLY

• 9 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Once upon a time (at least as of June 2019), we were allowed to simply use piped text for the 'Redirect to a URL' option in the Survey Termination settings. So I could simply enter ${e://Field/ReturnURL} as my 'Redirect to a URL' setting (where ReturnURL is an embedded data value storing a URL to return the respondent to). This stopped working as of July 2019 on the Survey Termination settings but was still allowed on the End of Survey settings in the survey flow. Simply being able to use an embedded data value as the 'Redirect to a URL' setting is extremely useful.

I have users coming to the same surveys from varying sites. I use the ReturnURL embedded data field to tell me the site a user is coming from and where I want to redirect them to once they have submitted the survey. My ReturnURL may look like:
`https://[some host]/router/?UserMode=normal&AppSource=localv1&routeIn=[some survey ID]&rid=${e://Field/ResponseID}&sid=${e://Field/SurveyID}`

Notice that I also include piped text references to the surveyID and responseID which are automatically filled in when the survey is submitted so the site the respondent is returning to has a reference to the responseID of the completed survey (useful for API calls where there are delays in getting responses back from Qualtrics). The ReturnURL can also be used for 'testing' a production survey without adding any extra fields to the survey. So I could have one testing ReturnURL with query parameter AppSource=testing and another with AppSource=production, etc. so that when the data is being analyzed I can ignore the responses with ReturnURL containing AppSource=testing.

My point is, Qualtrics please do not do away with piped text 'Redirect to a URL' settings because you would be removing a practical and effective option and I would suggest 'fixing' the 'Redirect to a URL' option in the Survey Termination settings to allow piped-text-only once again.
icon

Best answer by w.patrick.gale 2 June 2021, 16:59

View original

7 replies

I don't know if what I experienced is the same thing but my redirects were working (rid from panel/URL) 2 days ago and when I looked at it yesterday, all the redirects on my surveys were broken. Sent them a ticket but their super unresponsive.
Badge +3
Hi @w.patrick.gale and @Judy! This sounds like it is not intended functionality and related to a current issue that we discovered around July 8 with piped text in the Survey Redirect portion of Survey Options. Our team is currently working on implementing a solution for this, so be sure to reach out to our Support team, if you haven't already, so that you'll be notified when the fix is released!

In the future, please be sure to contact the Support team with any sudden loss of functionality so that we can respond to the issue in a timely manner!
Badge +2
Thanks for detailing your situation. We are also facing the same issue and it is severely hindering the ability to obtain quality data. We use survey redirects in the survey flow to point survey takers to different survey flows by piping in embedded data into the redirect url. We were testing the surveys this week and found all the links broken. We are not in a position to continuously rebuild surveys due to suddenly not working features. Please fix as soon as possible.

Example of our redirect:
https://domain.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_XXXXXXXXXXXXX?day=${e://Field/day}&class=${e://Field/class}&firstTime=${e://Field/firstTime}
Badge

Was this ever resolved? I'm trying to do this now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @katelynt, yes the redirects are working. This is how it looks in the new UI as of June 2021.
image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/37958#Comment_37958Same here!

Userlevel 7
Badge +61

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/37958#Comment_37958I just did what was posted here and it works for me. We wanted to redirect to Schedule Once where customers can schedule calls with a Support agent. I just needed to know the syntaxt the "receiving" page wanted the URL to look like and it worked on the first try 🙂
And I am NOT a coder!

Leave a Reply