Pick, Group and Rank - How to restrict the drag and drop options | XM Community
Solved

Pick, Group and Rank - How to restrict the drag and drop options

• 29 July 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
Hi Experts,

I'm using Pick, Group and Rank question type with multiple selection items in the list, where i only need 3 items to be dragged into the group.
Currently I've created only one group as per the requirement. I did use the validation type as "must select" and configured at least - 3 and No more than - 3 ! and when previewing the same question I'm able to drag more than 3 in the group.
!
Can you please help me, how to fix this? await for your valuable suggestions 😀
icon

Best answer by rettweber 29 July 2019, 19:59

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @Pradyp,

The way Qualtrics works is it allows users to make mistakes and then prevents them from submitting and tells them about the mistake (see image below). This is true for many of the question types, not just group and rank. There are some philosophical advantages to this. You are more likely to get an answer that someone has thought about, but it does seem to fly in the face of expected behavior and is potentially irritating to the survey recipient.

The preview is fine for getting an idea of how a question will work, but taking the survey is required to really test the questions behavior as they interact with validation, survey flow and display logic. I create lots of test surveys when I am working on a new question type to get the full experience before including it in a complete survey.

!

Good luck. Hope this answers your question. Sorry there is not a better answer.

Rett
Badge +1
Hi Rett,

Thank you for the response. I do follow the same method (like testing everytime) while creating a new question, and haven't got the desired output during my test run. I appreicate if you can let me know how you have got the error message while drag n dropping more than required items.

Can you let me know what additional settings should i follow to get the results. if possible can you share a screenshot of that particular question which you have set?

Regards
Pradyp
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @Pradyp ,

No additional settings required. The survey recipient can pull in as many items as they wish. The warning does not occur until they hit the next button at the bottom of the page. Below is how I set up my question.

When you try the survey in survey preview mode (Blue button at top right of screen), you will not see the message until you hit the arrow at the bottom of the page after pulling the items into the group.

!
Badge +1
Thank you Rett,

It worked now, not sure what exactly happened but now it's working fine.
Appreciate your valuable suggestions 😀
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
My Pleasure, glad it worked. 🙂

Leave a Reply