How can we generate a personal link for an individual contact within a mailbox? | XM Community
Solved

How can we generate a personal link for an individual contact within a mailbox?

• 13 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi
We are using Qualtrics to present a questionnaire to participants in a mental health study that we are running.
Our survey participants arrive first at our website where they are screened. For those who are eligible, we then:
i) make a call to the Qualtrics API (API/v3/mailinglists/<mailing_list_id>/contacts) to create a contact in the study mailing list
ii) make another call to the Qualtrics API to create a distribution list (API/v3/distributions) which returns the distribution id
ii) use the distribution id to get the survey link (API/v3/distributions/<distribution_id>/links?surveyId=<survey_id>).
The issue we have is that each time we create a distribution list a link is generated for _all _the contacts in the mailing list. Using the Qualtrics user interface it is possible to create a distribution list for a particular survey participant, but this does not seem to be an option via the API.
The only workaround I can see is that we create a separate mailing list for each participant.
I am sure that this challenge must have been faced before.
I would value any help the community can offer to resolve this ?
icon

Best answer by ana_velez 13 August 2019, 18:20

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +27
Hi!!

If you have data with which you can make a sample of the individual you can use the sample as mailing list. However you will need to add more calls, the create sample definitions and make a sample from the mailing list. But maybe this can work for you

https://api.qualtrics.com/reference#create-sample-definition
Thanks very much for your reply Ana - that really helps.
So we could create a sample for each individual.
I'm probably missing something obvious, but I don't see how we can then create distribution links for that sample ?

Cheers

Harry
Userlevel 6
Badge +27
Hi!

the create sample call gives you an ID that works as the mailing list ID, which you can use to create the distribution.

https://api.qualtrics.com/reference#create-sample

cheers,
Ana

ExeCTU, what did you do to redirect a user to Qualtrics with a personal link?

Hi,
We went into the survey and went into distribution links from the top menu, chose personal links, generate links using green button on right, then used the ppts email address to create the link. If your survey is in different languages then you need to choose the language in the right hand column when generating the link. You can choose how long the link stays live. The system will create a link then you can email it to the individual ppt. If you have several surveys joined together then its worth sending them all the links. Hope this helps :-)

PS you can generate up to 200 links this way

But if I want to do it through API, how can I do that? I have a website and I need to generate a individual link for an specific user of my web, then he can answer the survey. I need to connect two systems (my website and Qualtrics).

Leave a Reply