Is it possible to add a translation to one block only? | XM Community
Question

Is it possible to add a translation to one block only?

• 30 August 2019
  • 3 replies

I'm aware that in the translation function you can just add the translation to certain items but when the language is in Arabic or Urdu the text that I leave in English is published from right to left. Perhaps there is a way of disabling the language button and the using a MC question to just translate the one block? I have seen this question be addressed elsewhere but either it hasn't worked for me or I couldn't follow the instructions! Thanks in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You could use your language indicator, whether that is a question or embedded data, to show different blocks with the appropriate language translations. Then you can combine the questions from the 3 blocks into embedded data fields so that all the responses map to the same field. If language is a challenge in interpreting the results, you could even use branching logic to help clean up the results.

An example of the branching logic might look like, if answer A is selected from Q1 of any block, than Q1_Answer = A (with English translation).
Thank you for your time. However, skipping the translate function and just using display logic doesn't solve the issue of the Arabic and Urdu text needing to be positioned right to left. The formatting goes funny when I try and copy and paste the arabic text from a word document to Qualtrics unless I'm using the translate function which recognises the left to right text. Perhaps I don't understand your solution. Apologies.

I have the same question: In a primarily Arabic survey, several blocks are in English, and they currently display from right to left because the language of the survey is in English. Is there a way to fix this for those few blocks in English? Kind regards, Yulia.

Leave a Reply