Move text entry form label to the right of the response box? | XM Community
Solved

Move text entry form label to the right of the response box?

Badge +1
I'm trying to replicate a large medical procedure survey that asks the recipient to enter short numerical data for each procedure. The procedure descriptions vary greatly in length and that causes the response boxes for each label to be staggered very differently from one section to another. It also means some of the labels end up with a big gap to their corresponding response box. This would be much more user friendly if the response boxes could be put to the left of the labels. An example of the staggering problem is below:

!
icon

Best answer by TomG 30 August 2019, 20:42

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Try using a vertical text constant sum question with no total.

Report back on whether it works for you or not.
Badge +1
Thank you TomG! Looks like that'll do the trick.
Badge +5
Hi @TomG , I have the same problem and tried your trick. But then I have another problem: how can I exclude the box with "0" before each label (when I click "no total" only the total disappears) and how can I make the text try box bigger so I can write several lines (as I would choose "form" as entry text field)?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Best, Laura
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Lee783 said:
> Hi @TomG , I have the same problem and tried your trick. But then I have another problem: how can I exclude the box with "0" before each label (when I click "no total" only the total disappears) and how can I make the text try box bigger so I can write several lines (as I would choose "form" as entry text field)?
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Best, Laura
Laura,

I don't think a constant sum if the right solution for you. I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Have multiple multi-line text entry boxes where the labels are on the right?
Badge +5
Hi @TomG ,
thanks a lot for getting back to me. Yes, what I'm trying to do is having multiple multi-line text entry boxes with labels on the left. The problem that I have when using "text entry/form": the distance between text entry boxes and labels is huge and should be smaller (see screenshot).!.

And if I use "< nobr >" it looks good on desktop, but not on mobile - then the entry boxes are way to small for any entries.

Thank you!
Laura
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Try adding this to your question text:
```
<style>.Skin .TE .FORM span.LabelWrapper { padding-right: 0; }</style>
```
Badge +5
> @TomG said:
> Try adding this to your question text:
> ```
> <style>.Skin .TE .FORM span.LabelWrapper { padding-right: 0; }</style>
> ```

Thank you, where exactly shall I place it? Directly in the label text like this:

<style>.Skin .TE .FORM span.LabelWrapper { padding-right: 0; }</style>
<div style="text-align: left;">LABEL</div>
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Lee783 said:
> > @TomG said:
> > Try adding this to your question text:
> > ```
> > <style>.Skin .TE .FORM span.LabelWrapper { padding-right: 0; }</style>
> > ```
>
> Thank you, where exactly shall I place it? Directly in the label text like this:
>
> <style>.Skin .TE .FORM span.LabelWrapper { padding-right: 0; }</style>
> <div style="text-align: left;">LABEL</div>
>
At the bottom of your question text in HTML View.
Badge +5
Ok thank you, I did, but unfortunately, it doesn't change anything 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Lee783 said:
> Ok thank you, I did, but unfortunately, it doesn't change anything :(
Some possible suggestions:
1. This could be theme dependent. Use your browser's Inspect feature to determine if there are elements with padding or margin, then use CSS rules to eliminate it.
2. Use a CSS rule to right justify the label cells
3. Use some combination of overflow-wrap, word-break, and hypens CSS properties to break the long
4. Use JS to increase the width of the label column

Leave a Reply