Matching survey responses over time using anonymous ID | XM Community
Solved

Matching survey responses over time using anonymous ID

• 13 September 2019
  • 6 replies

I am a newbie to this forum and have a question about how to match survey responses over different time points.
I have a list of emails and I want to send an anonymous survey link to each email address at 3 time points in the coming year.

Can I assign a unique RESPONSE ID to each email address so that I can identify respondents at 2 or 3 subsequent data collection time points using this same anonymous ID?

Perhaps there is a specific support video on this to get me started?
Thanks for any advice offered.
icon

Best answer by VirginiaM 13 September 2019, 14:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +45
@JOHNNI is there a reason you don't want to use the email as the common identifier (since you already have them)?
Hi Virginia
For this survey I have email addresses to send a survey link but I would prefer not asking them the email question in the survey itself.
is there a way to set it up so I can link the known email to a unique ID variable when the responses come back? ( without asking the respondent for their email in the survey response)?
Thanks for your reply and query.
Userlevel 6
Badge +45
@JOHNNI if you're sending the survey out via email then you can embed the email address in the survey flow without having to ask the respondent to enter it. That will allow you to use it as an identifier. I'll include a screen shot.!
Ok I see that now Virginia. This is most helpful. Thanks very much for the help. This saves me a lot of time.

So....If I was posting a survey link up on Facebook or a website, would I then have to ask the email question in the survey itself or if I wanted to retain some anonymity perhaps sask a question like the last 4 digits of their mobile phone number for use a matching variable later on?
J
Userlevel 6
Badge +45
@JOHNNI If you are posting the anonymous link instead of sending it out via email then you will need to ask some sort of question to identify (and link) the person taking it.
That's great. Thank you again for this. It is much appreciated!!
Have a great day.

Leave a Reply