Only randomizing certain questions where a condition is met (answer to parent question) | XM Community
Solved

Only randomizing certain questions where a condition is met (answer to parent question)

• 25 September 2019
  • 7 replies

I have six questions, each has a subsequent question to be asked only IF the response meets a certain criteria. I only want a maximum of 2 of these subsequent questions to be asked. Where there are more than 2 of the six questions meeting this criteria the selection of the 2 subsequent questions should be randomised. Where there is 2 - those 2 should be asked, where there is 1 that 1 should be asked. Where there are 0 then 0 should be asked. I have tried a few different things. I am not great with Javascript but can try to work with examples.
icon

Best answer by Scagas 2 October 2019, 09:05

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
You should be able to accomplish this with branch logic and the randomizer. You mentioned you'd tried a few different things: If you've already got something built, feel free to share a screenshot for input on how to make it work the way you want!
!
So my miscommunication, it's not 6 questions which could have subsequent answers its six statements. i.e. If the answer for Industry 4.0 Tech is column 1 or 2 then there is a subsequent question if the first or second column is selcted.

I've deleted my logic now. I have each subsequent question ready to go, in its own block.

Will it work if I create a branch per statement or do I need 1 big branch and then do I randomise the blocks underneath. I did try this but I also had some display logic on at the time which I guess I shouldn't have?

Thank you for helping out JenCQ!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I see what you're trying to do. What I would do is use math operations and embedded data to create a counter of how many responses meet the criteria, then follow up with more branch logic and randomizer.

So first, set up branches for each statement: If Industry 4.0 Technology is col 1 Or industry 4.0 technology is col 2 then StatementCounter +1. Then, branch into a randomizer if StatementCounter >= 2. You can use branches nested within the randomizer to include the statements they scored a 1 or 2 on.

Otherwise, you can use the branches to show them the other blocks for the 1-only statement in 1 or 2.
Thanks JenCX I'm having trouble finding info on StatementCounter or making counters in Qualtrics. Do you have an example of what this would like like?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Scagas Sorry for the confusion: that was my suggestion to name your embedded data field. So you'll create the field at the beginning of your survey flow and set the value as 0. Then, once you branch if the conditions are met, you'll use the math operations to add one to it.
Thanks all.

Sharing qualtrics instruction and have pasted my final that is working.

This is the solution where I have 6 statements and 4 choices in a matrix, I have a subsequent question for each statement however I only want to randomise display of a maximum of 2 subsequent questions and only if certain conditions are met for each statement, this means I might be randomising the display of permutations of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, or 0 criteria compliant subsequent questions:

Qualtrics Support Instruction:
Steps with screenshots for your visualisation:
1. Go to your Survey Flow
2. In the bottom right corner of the Block which entails the Matrix Table, click on Add Below
3. Select a Branch for the new element
4. Click add a condition
5. Select the question of the matrix table and in select choice choose the scale point 1 under the specific statement (see screenshot)
6. Click on the green plus sign to the right and insert the same for the scale point 2. After you have done that, make sure you change the logic from AND to OR (see screenshot). Then click ok
7. Now add a new element nested under the branch and choose Randomizer
8. Nest the Followup Blocks underneath (I suggest each follow up question has its own block, because you do not want to display all of them (see screenshot)
9. Now put in 2 in the Randomly present ... of the following elements (and if desired click on evenly present elements)!
10. Lastly, save your survey flow

Leave a Reply