Merging responses from same question, but different blocks | XM Community
Solved

Merging responses from same question, but different blocks

• 22 October 2019
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
In one of my projects, I created multiple blocks that the participant would be sent down depending on how they answered the first question in the survey. The questions are mostly the same, but some blocks ask more questions and some blocks ask fewer questions.

Is there a way to combine answers from the questions we asked everybody? For example, we asked all respondents in their blocks how long they have worked with "XYZ"...can we combine the responses from all of the blocks into one variable?
icon

Best answer by MsIreen 22 October 2019, 17:33

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You can create an Embedded data filed in Survey flow and pipe the question from different block there, thus, the field will in the end only include the one response that has been provided.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Is there anything that can be done after data collection?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Download the data and reupload it back so that all answers from these questions are combined in one column. At least this is the only option i can think of..
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
At the same time, if someone has another approach, i will gladly listen, as I am having a similar task coming at me 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thank you! Could you explain the download/upload process a little more? Would this create duplicate responses?

I thought I would be able to create a new variable using "Create or Clean Variable," but I haven't found a way to do this yet. I feel like there's something there, but no luck so far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
You can definitely create a variable as per: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/add-new-fields/manual-variables/#FieldTypes
I am not sure what kind of dataset and how many duplicate questions you have and if manual tagging, for example, will be too much. We have crazy complicated and huge data sets so i would even go there. I am very used to do data reuploads as well as imports of historical data, so I may be also biased 😃
If this is an option for you, then you can indeed edit the custom fields in batches using advanced filtering, for example.

As per reuploading the data back, it would also require knowledge of your survey structure, consistency of recoded values, etc. Basically it means exporting all the data that you have, modifying it according to the needs and importing it back, the original data from the survey is to be removed. If you do not want to remove the original data, you can create a copy of the survey and import the data there: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/import-responses/

Funny that i have been doing reuploads for years, and now when i started writing about how easy it is, i actually thought that in the beginning it gave me a few gray hair, as there are a lot of things to consider... 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this! I have figured out a way to combine the questions to create one variable:

* Under the Analysis tab in Data & Analysis, you would select "Create or Clean Variable" on the left hand side of the page (where all your variables are listed)
* Using the Logic option to create a new variable, you give it a name at the top and start selecting the variable you want to combine into one...so for example, if I asked all my 6 blocks how long they worked for "XYZ," I would maybe call the new variable "Career Length" and find that question in all of my blocks.
* So I pick the questions I want to combine and then for each question, I select "equals" and then select the same response category for each. I would repeat this step by clicking the small plus button right next to "Select Value" so each of the paths where I asked this question are added and they all are equal to the same response category.
* You also want to make sure you change "If ALL of the following are true" to "If ANY of the following are true"...this choice will appear after you choose to add another condition
* To add a new response category, click on the small plus sign to the far right of the window to add a new condition set...it will bring up another box below your first condition set and it will say, "Otherwise if..." and you will then repeat the same process as above. Remember to change "If ALL of the following are true" to "if ANY of the following are true"
* repeat this process until all of your response categories for your new variable are represented
* Below each of the new conditions you made, where is says, "Set Value To..." I chose "Text" from the drop down menu and type in what I want that new response category to be called. So for my "Career Length" example, I would name my response categories as they appear in the original question..."Less than 1 year," "1-2 years," 3-5 years," etc...

This is so hard to explain in words (for me, at least) so I hope this is clear! It worked like a charm and I was able to combine all of my like variables into one that I am now able to use for analysis.

I hope this helps in your future endeavors!
Badge +1

@MoTimperley I came by your community chat for merging the same question asked across different blocks yesterday as I just had the similar scenario - the same question appearing in different blocks, asked to different respondent groups. I wanted to get a total lens of all these responses. Your community chat, detail and instructions helped a lot, but at the same time, I connected with support as I could not see the process you completed added the new variable into data & analysis (data), and/or my dashboard (Dashboard Data). I could only see the new variable in StatsIQ following create and clean variable.  

I therefore wanted to share the guidance given to me from support that added that missing step. And I think it does the same as your instructions, but maybe it is a new feature - About combining fields, Coalescing Combined Variables.  Given your post is 3 years ago you are probably a pro at this now, so hope you don’t mind this share.

Badge

@Simonmd I’m also interested in combining responses to the same question asked to different groups. Please could you share the guidance you were given, I can’t see a link?

Thank you

Badge +1

Hello @NannaP Apologise for my late reply, been away on vacation. These were the Q support help notes. Combining Fields (qualtrics.com)

Hope this helps

#Simon

Leave a Reply