Problem with multiple levels of branching | XM Community
Solved

Problem with multiple levels of branching

• 29 November 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi! I have a problem with branch logic. As shown in the picture, respondents go from a 'Car Choice Block' to a '5 cents tax' block. There they are randomly asked between two Yes/No questions.

As can be seen in the second picture, which only shows the first yes/no question, I then want to branch them out depending on their answer to the yes/no question, to a different block (Answered Yes / Answered No). However this is not working - selecting yes or no is sending me to the end of the survey rather than to the 'Answered Yes' or 'Answered No' block.

Is there anything I am doing wrong here?

!
!
icon

Best answer by ElliotVW 29 November 2019, 17:19

View original

2 replies

Badge +2
Hi gln398,

So I think your issue is that you've included the answered yes/no branches in the randomiser. Randomisers randomly present the elements placed under them, and you've actually included the branches in the randomiser. Functionally, you've created a randomizer that evenly presents one of four options, two of them branches which only trigger for questions which aren't presented. I'm guessing there is nothing after that randomiser in your survey flow, so if the answered yes or answered no branches are randomly selected then it would end the survey. I would try moving the branches after the randomiser. I've provided an example below, but I can post some screen shots if it's not clear.

Example Survey Flow
randomiser to randomly present 1 of two blocks
--- yes/no normal block
--- yes/no other block

branch to trigger if yes selected
--- answered yes block

branch to trigger if no selected
--- answered no block

This is a bit beyond the scope of your question, but I noticed you only have one if condition for each answered yes/no branch. if you're looking for the answered yes and answered no blocks to present for both the yes/no normal block and the other yes/no block, you're going to want to add an or condition which references the other yes/no block to those branches.

Hope that help!

Elliot V.W.

Thank you gentleman, you solved my issue :)

Leave a Reply