Combination of randomizers and branching (i.e., display) logic | XM Community
Solved

Combination of randomizers and branching (i.e., display) logic

• 30 December 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi all!

First of all my apologies for a perhaps easy to answer question, but I am really not sure how to handle the following:

I am making an online experiment using a 2x2 design. Apart from setting up all questions (which I already did) I am now struggling with the randomization and branching in survey flow. There are two types of randomization I need to implement + there is branching logic affecting all of this:
- There are three 'shopping tasks' which I already randomized using the randomizer and embedded data in order for respondents to receive the shopping tasks in a different order
- Within these shopping tasks, respondents should be exposed to an ad with/without packshot and a webstore being similar/unsimilar. As I already used the randomizer for the task above I am not sure how to randomize this. Should this e.g., be within the randomizations I did above?
- Lastly, I need to implement branching logic. Based on the chosen brand in the shopping tasks, the respondent will only see the ads and webshop corresponding to this brand. I thought of doing this easily in my survey using display logic, but for some reason I keep on getting errors.

So apart from the more specific problems, I am wondering whether there is a certain order I would need to tackle these problems in.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope to receive some good help! Thanks 😀
icon

Best answer by npetrov937 1 January 2020, 17:34

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi @mzielhuis ,

-----------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:
I've been contacted about this answer a few times since it was published. Some people could not download the file, so I am attaching it again in the hopes that at least one of them will work.

I have also delivered a webinar for my Univeristy back in the day, where I discuss this example as I think it's a really good example to understand the power of Qualtrics. Here's the link to the webinar (discussion of the example starts at around 31m20s):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AvZ_8ABC9DLrIKKBFW4Eh1ZgYH3V0xSP?usp=sharing

-----------------------------------------------------------

If I understood correctly, you need the following:

A participant sees all 3 shopping tasks in random order. Then for each shopping task, they are first asked about a brand of choice. Based on this brand, the participant then sees 1 random ad (with or without packshot) AND 1 random webstore (similar vs unsimilar).

If so, then please see attached survey file. It's a nice combination of randomizers, groups and display logic (no need for branch logic).

For future reference, if you have a similar problems it's always best to describe what you're trying to achieve and your key requirements as opposed to what features you want to use - there are lots of workaround for many designs.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
Hi @npetrov937,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out and also thank you for the tip regarding new problems.

Kind regards,

Maartje

Leave a Reply