Problems with validation error message | XM Community
Solved

Problems with validation error message

• 26 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi!
I added Custom Validation to a question and I would like an specific error message appears when the participants do not answer correctly. I followed the steps specified here: https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/editing-questions/validation/, however it only worked with the standard messages provided by Qualtrics, but when I include the ones I created they don't appear...
Thanks in advance! 🙂
icon

Best answer by MatthewM 26 February 2020, 19:36

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30
Hi @acan ,

If I follow what you're saying, you have created and selected your Custom Validation message in the question, but it does not appear where it should when you test the survey as a respondent? Is that correct? If so, what displays instead of your custom message: nothing, or a standard Qualtrics message?
Hi Matthew! That's correct, when I test the survey as a respondent (using the error I create) it does not appear any message, but when I set the standard Qualtrics message it works (the Qualtrics message is displayed).
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
That's odd. When your custom message is enabled and you test the question, does the survey stop you from moving on even though no error message appears?
Yes, it stops moving on and also the incorrect answer is framed. Exactly as when I set the standard error message but without any message on the top of the page.
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
Go into your Library and check the custom message you created. Does it have text entered in the "Message" field?

!
In my library I could not find any of the messages I created, although they do appear as an option in "Custom validation", so I realized it might be due to the fact that I am editing someone else's survey (who send me a copy with some rights) but I have a free account. So I created a new survey from my account to test the error message, but it still not appearing. Now the area becomes red but does not show my message.
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
OK, I think we've ruled out operator error. It sounds like it could be a glitch in Qualtrics, perhaps due to the way your account was set up. I would contact Qualtrics Support and ask them to look into it further.
Thank you anyway!

I had exactly the same issue. Contacted the support team and they solved it by telling me to make sure that the survey language and the message language are set to the same thing. Mine was English UK and English US so they were not consistent. Once I changed both to the same language it worked.

Leave a Reply