Need help on Limiting Survey responses | XM Community
Question

Need help on Limiting Survey responses

• 26 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have a survey where I want to limit the number of responses based off IP Addresses. I have looked into the Protections of Ballot Box Stuffing and relevantID.

I basically want to allow certain IP addresses to take the survey multiple times, but all others to only take the survey once. Is there a way to do this? Or would I just activate RelevantID to flag duplicate responses based off IP Address; filter the data after? Thank you in advance.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If we know all IP address pre hand then we can use quota
Else we can have external service to keep track on number of response per IP address, and on start of survey using web service check if limit is reached

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Dsoohoo @rondev In my experience, the "flag duplicate responses" function works off of cookies, not IP addresses, and you can set the cookie to allow a respondent to take (or at least be served) the survey multiple times within a certain time frame that you can set or, conversely, to limit it (in other words, so they won't be served the survey for a specified period of time).
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@rondev Thank you for your response. I would not know all of the IP addresses pre hand. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by external services.

@adamk12 Thank you. I thought the cookies were connected to the Ballot Box Stuffing option, however someone could simply clear the cookie and retake a survey again. I like the idea of limiting survey responses within a time frame. I assume this means you can allow a respondent to take a survey multiple times, but not 10 or so responses within 5 minutes. I will look into this further; hopefully that is the case.

Leave a Reply