Any marketing researchers know of government benchmarks for Net Promoter Score? | XM Community
Solved

Any marketing researchers know of government benchmarks for Net Promoter Score?

• 3 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Level 5 ●●●●●
  • 295 replies
I've posted this question elsewhere and am also posting it here. For marketing researchers here, do you know of any credible benchmarks for government organizations for Net Promoter Score (NPS)? While best practice is to benchmark against one's own organization and drive continuous improvement, the first question I always get from managers, especially senior managers, when I present on NPS is, "how do we compare with other organizations like us." Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by AdamK12 3 March 2020, 22:05

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I take a lot of benchmark information from the Foresee E-Gov report:
https://learn.foresee.com/e-gov-h2-2019

It's not perfect. They use ACSI methodology, and it usually only looks at website satisfaction (because that's what Foresee does), and they tend to only publish federal benchmarks. So there isn't an NPS to compare it to. But it's one of the only reliable reports where I can get _any_ kind of read on some of this stuff.

Interested to see what other resources people have found!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks, @Kate -- I use the ForeSee report as well, and it is useful. I'd just like to have NPS benchmarks because we tend to use that measure and it's well understood, but we still get asked whether our NPS is "good" or "bad" compared to other organizations. And our scores are generally high objectively, which is a good answer. But I still get asked, "well, how does that compare to Agency X". I do agree it's a useful resource though!

Hi AdamK12 & Kate. Coming to this thread a full year later. Different world now! Similar challenge though when it comes to NPS... Wondering whether Qualtrics has any benchmarking features embedded so that we can compare our results to industry standards.
Their Benchmarking Editor (Benchmark Editor (CX) (qualtrics.com) sounds like the ticket, but it's actually a resource that needs you to upload YOUR data to benchmark against.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

DanMandle Kate Definitely a whole new world this year, but you can still see evolutions in our own thinking, and in the industry. The Foresee E-Gov report is still useful, as is the Satmetrix annual NPS brief (available at 2020 B2C NPS Benchmarks at a Glance - NICE Satmetrix ) It's cross industry and private-sector focused, but still gives us external benchmarks that help to answer the question "we have an NPS of xx, is that good or bad".
We're also far enough along the adoption curve now that we can show changes in NPS over time for different products/brands, which helps to drive continuous improvement as we benchmark against ourselves. We still need to answer the question above (is it good, is it bad, and how do we know). However, we can now demonstrate cases where a product team was able to increase utilization of their product (measured by users per unit time) without sacrificing NPS, or where NPS might lag for a particular segment or use case. So over time, we are learning how to 1) socialize the measure and 2) use it to drive and document improvements.

Badge +1

Any updates on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

hipekicker Not to speak of, beyond the annual updates to the Foresee and Satmetrix reports mentioned above. When our program first started, we often had questions about external benchmarking -- but now that we have more collective knowledge and experience with CX, we are able to benchmark against ourselves more effectively.

Leave a Reply