How to eliminate "N/A" from a report? | XM Community
Solved

How to eliminate "N/A" from a report?

• 26 March 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
For text entry questions and multiple-choice questions that include an "other" option, the report is adding "N/A" if a respondent leaves the field blank.

For example, I have a multiple-choice question that includes "Other (please specify)" as a response option with a text entry box. Even though the vast majority of the 300 respondents did not choose this "Other" response, the report includes several rows of "N/A". The same is happening to text entry questions where the field is left blank; the report still includes "N/A" row.

As such, my report is 77 pages long and two-thirds of those pages are majority "N/A" responses.

How do I filter these out?

AND how do I ensure this doesn't happen again during my next survey? Is it something I could've prevented in the survey setup?
icon

Best answer by MatthewM 30 March 2020, 21:00

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30
Hi @Mindy ,

I assume that you're working in the newer Report feature in Qualtrics, not Results.

If that's correct, you can filter results within an individual question. See the two screen shots below. This would allow you to filter out all of the N/A responses from the report display.

!

!

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi Matthew:
Your solution above worked great for questions where there are no responses. The additional issue I am having is where there is only one or two responses but there are N/As below that. For example:
Response
Response
N/A
N/A
N/A
Is there a way to get rid of the N/As? Thanks for your help!
Paul

Userlevel 7
Badge +30

Hi Guide ,
I believe that Advanced reports represent empty with "N/A". So if you apply a filter like that shown above it should hide the N/A's from the list.
Alternatively, a quick and dirty way to hide the N/A's is to use the "Sort by" option to make N/A appear last, and adjust the number of rows displayed so it shows everything but the N/A's.
image.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Hi, Guide , Mindy and MatthewM -- these are all great ideas for working in the Reports function--I'll try using the filters the next time I'm using the Reports function.
Another option is to export the report into Word, where you can sort and edit out the "N/A" responses. This is what I do for our leadership, because they do not have Qualtrics accounts. It works well because they have access to the verbatim responses in a familiar file format...

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks Adam and Matt for your help with this.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

BTW, tried the filter option and it worked perfectly!

Leave a Reply