How do I send multiple surveys to manager of new hires? | XM Community
Solved

How do I send multiple surveys to manager of new hires?

Badge

Goal: Use Lifecycle Surveys (EX) to automate surveys to managers of new hires. The surveys are used to assess the recruiting process.
My Environment: My Directory is auto-populated nightly. Automation is set up on my manager project to pull in managers who recently hired an employee. I have Message Automation set up to send messages weekly. I can't create multiple user profiles for a manager, because manager user profiles are used with our SSO login for dashboard viewing.
Use Case 1:
I have a survey sent to managers one week before their new hire starts. I want to be able to send the survey to these managers when they've hired a second (or third or fourth) employee at a later date.
The Problem: By default. Message Automation only sends messages to participants whose Project Status is Not Complete. So, anyone who has a second new hire will be in one of two scenarios:

1. They completed their previous survey. The Message Automation won't send them a new link because their Project Status is Complete.

2. They didn't complete their previous survey. The Message Automation won't send them a new link because they already exist in the Participants list and have survey invites that were triggered after their first interview.

Use Case 2:
I have a survey sent to managers one week before their new hire starts. I want to be able to send a separate survey for EACH new hire that starts on the same day. (If the new hires were both/all on the same job requisition, I don't need separate surveys.)
The Problem: By default. the project only allows me to send one survey to each participant.

icon

Best answer by MaiaH 13 June 2020, 00:04

View original

12 replies

Badge +1

Hi ericnelson, there's not currently a way on the platform for handing those use cases specifically. Every time a new hire is received, they will need a new link to the survey.
If they have already completed the survey, we would want to toggle a participant's status as having not completed the survey by terminating the link between the participant and their already recorded response.
If you have any additional questions regarding this setup or troubleshooting these use cases, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Support Team for further assistance!

Badge

Thanks, MaiaH.
Your second paragraph describes toggling a participant's status to terminate the link between participant and previously completed surveys. Is there a Support Page that details how this is done?
Thanks again.

Badge +1

Hi ericnelson, apologies with any confusion regarding "toggling". This is in reference to disjointing the participant with their already recorded response!
We can do this by either deleting their original response and sending a new invitation or by sending the participant a retake link 🙂

Badge

Thanks, Maia.
Here's my use case using a Lifecycle survey:
Week 1: Send to 10 managers who have new hires. All 10 complete the survey.
Week 2: I have 10 managers who have new hires--two of them also had new hires during Week 1.
I have the survey option that allows for Multiple Responses. So, I know those two managers can retake their surveys without overwriting their Week 1 response. But how do I send invites to all ten managers? Won't those two repeat managers be excluded because the Participant Invite only be sent to those whose status is "Not Complete?"

Badge

Here's how I got around this for my 45-Day Leader survey:
I used a Lifecycle survey to automatically bring new hires into the survey once they are hired. Distribution is set to an anonymous link. 
Once a week, our HR Service Center runs a report to view all new hires coming up to their 45 days with the organization. They use a mail merge template to email an leaders the anonymous link as well as the employee's Employee ID (unique identifier). When leaders click on the link, the Branch on Successful Authentication --> Authentication Type --> EmployeeID prompts them to enter in the employee's Employee ID. This brings up the correct survey for the specific employee and also allows multiple responses for leaders with multiple new hires. 
I also have another Lifecycle survey for employee to provide feedback at 45-days. The HR team is then able to compare the employee and leader's feedback to see if there are any issues that need follow-up.
Hope that helps!
Kristina :)

Badge

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/26817#Comment_26817Thanks, Kristina. That's a fascinating work-around. Very helpful, indeed!

Reviving this conversation, as we've run into a similar situation.
We have surveys going out to New Hire Managers after 90 days on an automated basis, with Managers imported in as users from our HRIS, and New Hire details as metadata. The issue we've run into is that some Managers have multiple New Hires hired on the same day, which means that the import file coming over to Qualtrics includes the same Manager twice. Unfortunately Qualtrics won't allow this, and requires the Manager to complete the survey for one New Hire and submit before we can load in metadata for the second New Hire.
For us, having the Manager receive multiple emails with different links or a single email with a shared link doesn't matter - being able to automate the process is the priority.
We'll try out Kristina's workaround kpaule (thanks for the suggestion!), but given that it requires some manual intervention we'd prefer an automated approach.

Badge +2

Hi all -
The way I addressed this requirement was to bring the manager into a EX survey for each New Hire they had (so multiple times). I used a requisition ID for the Unique ID and Username for the manager. Everything is automated except for the load of the data into the Global Directory - a file is placed in a SFTP server by our Talent Operations team and then imported. Seems to be working well for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I have a similar case, but for the Exit scenario. We want to send a survey to the Manager of the leaver, to measure the impact of the loss of this person to the team. And we want to tie the results of this survey together with the results of the actual exit survey that we send to the leaver himself.
As we also use SSO, the response from chewitt seems that it would create duplicate users and I expect that to interfere with the SSO. But the workaround from kpaule looks interesting.
Did anyone create a Product Idea for this requirement perhaps meanwhile?

Badge +2

JoycaV there is no interference with SSO because the Requisition ID is the Username and Unique ID. because we are using SSO (authenticated by email address), there is no interference. Qualtrics allows for the same email address multiple times as long as you provide a unique UserName (and we use Requisition ID for that).
Qtip: When uploading participants with unique identifiers enabled, you can add participants with the same email address as long as you include another column titled UserName with different values for these participants. Without the UserName column, the upload will fail due to duplicate entries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

ok, thanks for that info chewitt . But nevertheless, this method would be creating a lot of duplicate employees in the Directory ànd a corresponding user of the Participant type? Which would clutter our database, and might even impact our licence cost as I think it's based on # employees?

Badge +2

Yes it does JoycaV, but because of the way the participant concept currently works within Qualtrics, I do not see any other way. Would be great if we could simply target the specified managers in the New Hire participant entry for the additional survey invite....kind of like a secondary participant I guess.

Leave a Reply