How to best produce a polished report for a user, with a 175 question survey | XM Community
Question

How to best produce a polished report for a user, with a 175 question survey

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

NAAA crosstab sample.PNGTrying to produce a professional report that the user can consume easily.
My overall question is how to analyze survey data

• efficiently

• producing a professional report

Using a specific example here:
My goals for this 175 question survey, to produce
  • descriptives for each of 175 questions

• crosstabs for the same survey (broken out by gender)

• a polished report that the from which the user can create their own Exec Summary and Key Findings

• and to do so efficiently

Previously, this was done in SPSS Statistics, but that's way overkill (and ugly), and there is no reason to use this powerhouse software - we're not doing any statistical analysis!
I have found Reporting / Stats iQ to be less than impressive for producing a polished report. For example, I could "press the button" and do a DESCRIBE on 175 questions, but it exports to Excel in 175 tabs, and UGLY. I wouldn't give that to a user. Then I need to do crosstabs (by gender), so this would be ANOTHER 175 tabs if exported to Excel, so again not acceptable imo.
My solution - import that data to Business Objects and build 175 charts (count, 😵, then duplicate that and build the crosstab (by gender). It's taking like 5 days to do the whole thing. (Although next year, it will already be built, so it's a repeatable process).
Thoughts?
Here's a sample crosstab, but then x 175 and another 175 for the crosstabs
NAAA crosstab sample.PNG

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Hi, WilliamPeckUSNA --I hope you and yours are doing well and safe at home! I have a few thoughts that might help you focus your thinking and make sure that you are getting the right data and insights to your audience:

• First off, if you have access to the dashboard ("Vocalize") function, that's very useful because it helps you build an interactive presentation that allows you to filter based on answer choices or embedded data. (For example, you could set filter(s) for gender or gendered vs. coed for various sports.

• Secondly, 175 answers is *a lot* for your audience to sort through. Could you prioritize the data that you prioritize in your report, leaving the rest for an appendix? That might also help you cut down on the number of charts and graphs in the final report.

I hope this helps and that you are well!
Best,
Adam

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

AdamK12,
good points, thx.

• Is Vocalize part of Dashboards? If so, we don't have that.

• Agree on the 175, I don't like it, too much for the respondent and the Athletic Dept to sort through. So I'm not really doing the "report", I'm just providing the data from which they will sort through it and make a report to the Athletic Director. But it's a good point

So I'll keep plowing ahead … 😎

Leave a Reply