Wistia Video | XM Community
Solved

Wistia Video

• 6 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Does anyone have experience implementing an intercept during (ideally at the end of) a Wistia video that is embedded on a website? I'm having trouble finding in the embedded code where the "play/end" controls are.

P.S. New to Site Intercept, no idea what I'm looking for but I can't find anything obvious! No tracking, no reference to the video playing,etc.
icon

Best answer by Michael_Campbell_RedPepper 13 March 2018, 17:49

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hmm... I'm not sure. I haven't worked on Wistia, and I, too, am new to Intecepts, but I see your question has gone unanswered for too long, and I want you to find a solution! So, please take my answer with a grain of salt, but I'll give it my best.

Here are some things that I recommend right off the bat. With Site Intercept, there are certain measures you can use to 'Qualify' your customer/viewer. One of those is 'Duration on the Site' where the Intercept is hosted. Once that duration is met, depending on your other criteria and the percentage of customers you want to intercept, they may be chosen to be intercepted.

How technical are you? As in - I want to know how much to geek out! If you're not technical, I would love to walk you through the process, but here is the recipe that I'm thinking of.

In your Javascript, you can set a listener (both using JQuery and Vanilla JS). If you have the ID of the button and it never changes, its the easiest - If not, you have to find the CSS Selector for that object, and that can be kind of tricky.

But then, with the combination of the trigger on the Play/End buttons, and the qualification time of the length of the video, I feel like you could get a pretty solid custom 'End of Video' Intercept.

If you need any information or clarification, I would love to walk you through, and even test on my side, some of the things I discussed!
Hi @Michael_Campbell_RedPepper
Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay -- busy busy :)

So I wanted to use duration on the site but since the Wistia video is just embedded on the page there's no reference to the user hitting play on the video. The only Wistia code on the page is the referring URL - https://embedwistia......... I've used the ID of other buttons so I'm pretty comfortable with finding that to trigger the intercept when it exists but there's no ID for play :(

We were looking into using one of Wistia's APIs to pick up the "play" action and then start a timer but we can't get it to work the way we intended. (This is way over my head at this point so I had a developer actually do the work on my end!) I also looked into using Wisita's Call to Action (https://wistia.com/library/using-video-ctas) at the end of the video but I'm not sure what we could make the trigger from the Qualtrics side. Do I need a trigger? If I just put the survey code in the CTA box would it work?

Thanks again for taking time to respond!

Leave a Reply