Qualtrics Client Side Javascript API or Embedded Data | XM Community

Qualtrics Client Side Javascript API or Embedded Data

• 26 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Does anyone know how to get respondent data and survey response data back after a survey is filled out on my website ? Seems like there is an API to create surveys but not get data back in real time.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
The API allows you to get response data. Look at "EXPORTING SURVEY RESPONSES".
@TomG that gets you results in an application via PHP etc. designed to pull data on the server. i need this information in the client that offers the survey, a website.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Right, you can run a php process from within your web page and show the result.
@TomG that seems like a different use case. is there a Javascript API that can grab results or respondent data ?
a PHP script to pass the data into client by some chron job doesnt seem like the best way to get data that should live in the client already.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
No, there is no JavaScript API that can grab responses. PHP's (pre-hypertext processing) primary purpose it to run server side processes when a web page loads (i.e. when the server sends the page to the browser). It is perfectly suited to your use case (unless you want to display data interactively without reloading the page in which case you need ajax, which would still require a backend server script and still use the same API). Cron is for scheduling processes and has no part to play in this scenario.
But the server wouldn't know about the survey being filled out right ?

Flow:
Page 1: home page
Page 2: embedded survey via qualtrics
Action on Page 2: fill out survey.
Expectation: data available to client local or cookie store.
Page 3: another landing page.

I dont think the PHP/Python API would have the information i need until the user visits the next page (page 3), if they do. I would also have to query user level info so i need to submit something as an input right ? I would have to ping the API server hundreds od thousands of times per month whenever a page loads.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@EddieDA,

One last try. The Qualtrics server knows about the surveys that have been completed. If your php script uses the API, then your script can also know about the surveys that have been completed. You can pass input the to script. If you are interested in a specific response, pass the ResponseID. This discussion and this discussion may help you.
But the server wouldn't know about the survey being completed. These seem like use cases for getting a response or users data for reporting on an html website via a PHP or other backend.

I still dont have info on what to collect to pass to the php script and not clear to me if should run a qualtrics API call for every single page load, deferring my page load timings.

Thanks for the information but seems like this is not right solution for what i am trying to do but pherhaps this will help someone else.

Leave a Reply