Using End of Survey Response Summaries in a survey with a Table of Contents | XM Community
Solved

Using End of Survey Response Summaries in a survey with a Table of Contents

• 23 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +30
  • Level 6 ●●●●●●
  • 1028 replies
I have an institutional research survey with a set of respondent experience requirements that seem to undermine each other, and a solution or workaround has so far has stumped Qualtrics tech support. I thought I'd share it here in case other users have conquered this challenging scenario and can share their solution.

I'm trying to get all of the following features to work together in the survey:
1. Use Table of Contents so that respondents can jump back in the survey to check and edit responses before submitting, if necessary.
2. Include a custom End of Survey object in the Survey Flow, in order to use both a custom message on the post-submission screen and make the preferred Response Summary (which is only available in an EOS object) available for respondents to review PRIOR to submitting.
3. Customize the Next button text only on the very last page of the survey, which happens to be the "Custom end of survey message" page (not an actual page or block in the survey). The navigation button should read "Submit" on this page (and only on this page).

The problem is that enabling the second requirement makes the third one impossible to implement. When you customize an EOS object, it adds a new page to the end of the survey (after the last block in your Survey Flow), but that new page does not have customizable buttons. In addition, all of the survey questions and responses are repeated on that screen, so the respondent has to scroll down past them to click navigation button to actually submit the survey.

The result is that respondents often don't reach the page where the Response Summary is located when they really need it, or they do reach the final page but don't realize that they still need to scroll to the very end of that screen to submit their responses once and for all

Has anyone found the right combination of options or a work-around of some kind to this Catch-22?
icon

Best answer by MohammedAli_Rajapkar 7 April 2018, 01:05

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Have you thought about adding in final descriptive text question at the very end that gives your respondents instructions on what they need to do next? "Click the Next button after this question in order to receive your Response Summary and submit your answers for review" or some such?

It's not the answer you're looking for, per se, but would it work? 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You can embed JavaScript in your EOS message to change the button text. Just put it inside a `<script>` tag.

You should also provide instructions in your EOS message about scrolling to the bottom and clicking Submit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
Thank you Michelle and Tom! I did include instructions in the last survey cycle to do just that (scroll to end of the page and click the "Next" button). Inevitably, a few people missed that message, or were confused by either the fact that the survey pages repeated themselves (though they were read-only) or by how far they had to scroll. Not the end of the world but not as seamless as I'd like it to be.

I'll brush up on my javascript and try customizing the button text to solve one of the requirements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Through JavaScript you can auto-scroll that page right to the point where you've the Next/Submit button or a summary page.

window.scrollTo(0,document.body.scrollHeight);

please check for "scrollTo / scrollBy function
https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_scrollby.asp
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
Thank you Mohammedali, I'll test that out.
Badge
Hey Matthew,

Did you ever figure out the javascript solution TomG recommended?
Userlevel 7
Badge +30
Thanks for checking. I haven't had a chance to explore that solution any further due to other responsibilities; it will probably have to wait for the next data collection cycle.

Leave a Reply