How to randomly present a picture and a question at the same time? | XM Community
Solved

How to randomly present a picture and a question at the same time?

• 12 April 2018
  • 3 replies

I have 12 pictures and 12 questions. Each time, the participate will be presented with one of the pictures and one of the questions at the same time. For each participant, all pictures and questions appear only once.

Already tried question randomization and randomizer, still seems impossible to do so. How can I achieve this?

Your help will much appreciated.
icon

Best answer by mcoverdale 18 July 2018, 21:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi @Jinghong,

I believe you want to show all 12 pictures and 12 questions randomly.
Can you please try Loop & Merge? Here is the documentation for it:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/#Introduction

Please check Randomizing loop order as well:
https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/block-options/loop-and-merge/#RandomizingLoopOrder
Hi @Mohammedali_Rajapakar_Ugam

Thank you so much for your answer.

Yes, for every participant, 12 questions will be asked. What I need to do is randomly presenting one of the 12 pictures when asking each questions.

I tried Loop & Merge, but it still seems impossible to randomly present pictures at the same time.

!

!

I wonder if you have any further suggestions.

Thanks a million in advance!
Badge +3
Hi @Jinghong,
I believe that I have found a way of doing this. However, it is not very elegant and is somewhat time consuming to build.

What you can do is create a separate Question and Block for each possible combination of pictures and questions (i.e. Question1Picture1, Question2Picture1, Question3Picture1 ... Question12Picture12).

After you have done that, go into the Survey Flow and create a Randomizer with 12 additional Randomizers nested inside of it. Set the "parent" Randomizer to randomly present all 12 of the elements within it.

Each of the 12 "child" Randomizers will be for 1 of the 12 picture. Nested inside each of the 12 "child" Randomizer you will need 12 Branches. These 12 Branches will be for each of the 12 questions.
For example: The first Branch of the first Randomizer will have Question1Picture1. The second Branch will have Question2Picture1. The last Branch will have Question12Picture1.
Set each of the 12 "child" Randomizers to present only 1 of the 12 nested Branches.

Then you will need to create an if-statement for each Branch so that the Block only shows if none of the blocks that include that question have been shown previously.
For example: If the first Branch of the first Randomizer contains Question1Picture1, then the Branch should show Question1Picture1 only IF Question1Picture2, AND Question1Picture3, AND Question1Picture4 ... AND Question1Picture12 were not displayed.

Ultimately, this should randomly select one of the pictures to show and randomly select one of the 12 questions to show with it, provided that the selected question has not been shown with another picture already (if it has another question will be selected). This process will continue until each of the 12 pictures has been presented once.

I have included a picture of what the survey flow should look like (I only have 6 pictures and 6 questions but it should otherwise be the same).

!

Sorry if my instructions are confusing. Hopefully this works for you!

Leave a Reply