Why do scores defined in my survey and exported scores differ ? | XM Community
Solved

Why do scores defined in my survey and exported scores differ ?

• 23 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Dear all,
I 've been conducting a survey with a couple of questionnaires in it. I have defined the scores of the items from e.g., 0 through 4, or 1 through 9. Strangely, I found in the exported raw (SPSS) data that some of the respondents have scores of, e.g., 10 or 13, on some individual items although the max scores I assigned is 5. To my knowledge, I have never assigned these values to these items anywhere in the survey. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue (and ideally reconstruct these individual scores) ?
Best,
Gero
icon

Best answer by LaurenK 2 July 2018, 18:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Gero,

It will be very helpful if you can provide the screen-shot of the recode value which you have assigned?

I think after creating a question if you have removed or added the options then the option which you have added later will take the new (latest value) recode value.

also, can you please check the data in "Data & Analysis" tab (before exporting it in SPSS)?

Please let me know what you find.
Dear Mohammedali,
sorry that it took me so long to get back to this issue. I have been quite busy. I looked at the data in 'data & analysis' and compared it to the SPSS output. And indeed there is a discrepancy on some of the items which I cannot explain. Luckily the original data seem quite normal so that hopefully they are 'exportable' that way. I'll attach the screenshots to let you see how the SPSS data compares to participants' original entries and how I coded everything in the background.
I hope you, or anyone, has some witty idea/solution.

Thanks,
Gero!
!
!
!
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hey @WoGeLa! It sounds like this support page about recode values may be a good first step! If you have not yet already, please reach out to our wonderful Support Team who can help better explain the way recode values work!

Leave a Reply