Is it possible to give respondents feedback based on their performance? | XM Community
Solved

Is it possible to give respondents feedback based on their performance?

• 24 April 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello!

For my masters thesis, I would like to give respondents a feedback signal based on how well they scored on a quiz. I would like to display a different signal for those who scored above a certain threshold but I've been unable to figure how to do this.

To clarify a little:
Respondents will be asked to answer 10 multiple choice questions. For each question only one of the answers is right and if they select that answer they get a score of 1. After the quiz they are asked to indicate how likely they think it is they scored in the top 25% of quiztakers. After this I want to show them a signal that shows them (with a level of uncertainty) whether or not they actually scored in the top 25%. They are asked to give their belief again and are presented with the same noisy signal again. This will be repeated a few times and afterwards the experiment is over.

It is important that there is a difference in signals between those who actually placed in the top 25% and those who didn't. Therefore, I would like to condition the signal on a score threshold. For instance, if the respondent answered 7 or more correctly they get a different signal than those who answered less than 7 correctly.

Any help or suggestion is very much appreciated and if something is unclear I am of course very happy to answer questions.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question. 😀

Maarten
icon

Best answer by Maarten 24 April 2018, 15:00

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
If you are going to set a static threshold of 7 or some other number like you stated above you can use a combination of scoring, embedded data, and display logic in the survey flow to achieve this.

1) Set the score (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-tools/scoring/)
2) add score as an embedded data field in your survey flow (https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/survey-flow/standard-elements/embedded-data/#SettingValuesInTheSurveyFlow). You can get the score using the piped text feature
3) In the next block code in the texts you want the respondents to see. Use display logic based on embedded data field you made for score to get it to properly display to the two groups.
This sounds great! I'm gonna try to implement this now which might take me some time as I am very new to using qualtrics.

I was thinking of using a static threshold because it seemed easier, but would ideally have the threshold update depending on how well others have done in the past. Would this maybe be possible too?

Either way, thank you so so much 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@Maarten I am not sure how to make a dynamic threshold that would calculate off all respondents and not just your current respondent. For the skills that I have, the best I can do is this and advise you to use a static threshold. But maybe someone else out there has an answer for you. If you run into any hiccups when trying to program the above solution feel free to message me directly.

Leave a Reply